Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fender Pile Axial Capacity 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

STH003

Civil/Environmental
Jun 10, 2010
US
Anyone know why an engineer would spec out a fender pile to have 1,900 kips of axial capacity? I would think EI, Ma and radial compression would be the most important design criteria for a fender pile.

Question is going around the office since this spec doesn't seem to make sense.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ah, thanks SlideRule. Embedment depth would make sense in most cases, and I think that may be what the engineer was going for, but IMO 1,900 kips is a bit high, since these piles are not battered and are only 16" diameter, so even a solid concrete pile @5000psi wouldn't have that axial capacity.

Hope they are not planning on these being structural and fender piles. Pick up some pretty nasty P-delta effects if they are....

I agree that it seems to be an out of place spec for a fender pile - I've never designed a fender pile to take ANY axial load, but 1900K is very significant and would overload any 16" pile regardless of unbraced length I would think.

Although its rare, I've seen prestressed piles used as fender piles before. Was thinking maybe it could be a jacking force on a prestressed pile, but even that seems very high for a 16" pile.

Can you question the engineer's reasoning for this?

I have, and they say that NO competitor has been able to meet that spec with a fender pile, and that they plan on using axial capacity as a secondary evaluation as to which customer's piling they want to go with, if 2 competitors seem a deadlock tie.

I would think if no one is meeting the spec, that would raise a red flag....

Yeah seems like pretty strange evaluation criteria to me - and where in the world did they come up with 1900K?

Let's assume its a solid cross section, for a 16" pile that load equates to a stress of roughly 9.45 ksi. Good luck finding any concrete or timber pile that's going to handle that. A 16" steel pile with a 1/2" wall thickness would be stressed to nearly 80ksi. Most steel piles I've seen have a yield of 35ksi, although higher strength steel is available (read more expensive).

That's like going car shopping and finding 2 similar cars at identical prices, then telling each salesman you'll buy their car if they can guarantee it to 1,900,000,000 miles... I just don't see it happening

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back