Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filler coating weight Vs Metal Weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

tarekdata

Industrial
Feb 12, 2007
SA
Dear Welding expert

I've tried to find a website or paper advising what is the standard rate of cellulose coating weight Vs Filler Weight.

Usually Welding electrode " SMAW Stick " weight = Cellulose costing weight + Filler Metal Weight .

Most of welding electrode QTY or weight " metal Deposit " calculator not distinguish between the weight of Metal or electrode overall weight.

I Appreciate your assistance in this regard.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Filler material weight is specified. The weight of the cover material is certainly part of the "10 pounds per box" that you need to buy, but the total waste material in SMAW welding (20% to 30% of each rod cannot be used and must be recycled) is so large that the cover material weight is negligible when ordering hundreds of pounds of rod.

Also, the cover material is a crusty, lightweight granular coating, and the rod interior is solid metal. Difference in total masses is significant. Difference in volume?

Dear Racookpe,

I do agree with you, but I need to consider all facts when i ordered welding electrode , especially when we are working on an politically not stable area like Iraq " currently we are there " where there is no future use for electrode surplus and cost of purchasing E7010 For instance is pretty expensive 7 USD per KG.

the electrode filler metal deposited on these categories " External Waste factors "

1- Welding of Joint.
2- Cut out waste of metal deposit . Depend on welding quality only
3- Welding repair waste of metal deposit . Depend on welding quality only

Internally " pertaining to electrode it self , we have these source of waste:

1- negligible weight wasted in spatter.
2- waste of electrode butts " 5 to 7 Cm among 35 CM electrode " cant be utilized .

We still need to consider all factors.

Regards;

Tarek

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back