Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fillet dim 3

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctopher

Mechanical
Jan 9, 2003
US
New one for me.
I added a dim R .50 to a corner. It passes near a tapped hole.
When I dimension the corner where it meets the tapped hole, it shows the following dimension:
IMG

If I select the fillet where it does not meet the tapped hole, it's a normal radius dimension.
Anyone seen this before? What does "RM R.50 x 1.0" mean?
(The position of the dim is for illustration here only)

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I think you will find that RM signifies Mean Radius. It's possible that the fillet either breaks into, or is bisected by the tapped hole.

By adding the fillet after the hole, the fillet is probably propagating itself around the hole.

By adding the hole after the fillet, the hole is just cutting through the fillet ... no propagation.

RM .50 x1.0

RM = Mean Radius

I believe the [.50 x1.0] is the dimension of an obround - due to fillet bisecting and propagating around the hole, effectively becoming obround.

If you edit the dimension or look in the property window, do you see the variable name for the 'x1.0' ? Maybe that is a clue?

--
Hardie "Crashj" Johnson
SW 2010 SP 2.1
HP Pavillion Elite HPE

It shows as "RM<DIM>x1.0".
Interesting, if I right-click on the dim, then change it to a diameter dim, it changes it to "RMM 1.00x1.0".
The dim text still shows it as "RM<DIM>x1.0", but displays the "RMM...it will not go away. If change back to show as a radius it still shows RMM.
A bug I think.

Chris
SolidWorks 10 SP4.0
ctopher's home
SolidWorks Legion

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back