Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Filter Separator Design

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmr0

Petroleum
Mar 20, 2009
BO
Hello everyone,
I’m working in a project where I need to restore a 1979 filer separator (54”ID, nom thk 1-3/4, lgth 15ft, SA-516-70, Div 1, horizontal). As part of this project I must determine the flow capacity of this filter-Separator, so I’m looking for a procedure for designing Filter-Separators that would give an idea of this vessel capacity. Can anyone provide me with a guide to design horizontal filter/separators or an author reference?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Provide your operating pressure and I can supply design capacity.

Capacities vary by manufacturer, but that being said...approximate capacity is as follows.

Operating Pressure (psig) - Flow Rate (MMSCFD)
50# - 89 MMSCFD
100# - 115 MMSCFD
150# - 141 MMSCFD
200# - 167 MMSCFD
300# - 219 MMSCFD
400# - 273 MMSCFD
600# - 332 MMSCFD
800# - 382 MMSCFD
1000# - 426 MMSCFD
1200# - 468 MMSCFD
1400# - 514 MMSCFD

As mentioned, these are approximate, as each manufacturer's coalescing filter will have different removal efficiencies. You can generally assume that a filter sep will only knock out aerosols greater than 10 um in size.

Thank you Superdaigle,

The operating pressure is 1000 psig so I believe I can assume 426 MMSCFD. This is really important for me and I would like to know more of the design of FilterSeps. Maybe you can help me with some formula, some empirical procedure for this purpose or a paper.

Thank you

Unfortunately each filter separator vendor has a proprietary design that allows their equipment to process a certain throughput.

If you look at the ASME nameplate there should be a company name, they can provide an exact capacity for a given operating parameter.

You could try Pall Corporation, Perry Equipment Company, or King Tool. All of which make good products for separating condensates, solvents (amine/glycol), lube oil, and water from natural gas streams.

The most basic principles for separation can be found in Perry's Chemical Engineering handbook, the unfortunate thing about the source is it is based on theoretical eqs drawn from fluid mechanics. Any vendor will have equipment that has been tested in thousands of locations, so designs aren't only based on calculation but actual experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back