Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

fine mesh screen 5

Status
Not open for further replies.
Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would interpret it to mean that someone needs to put a fine mesh screen over the vent hole if there's not one already.

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Can't you provide a little more context?

I would assume that it means that the opening is to be covered with a mesh screen to prevent passage of "stuff" through the hole.

TTFN

FAQ731-376

I'm having a lot of trouble understanding your question. It means exactly what it says. If you don't give us a context, we can't give you any help.

V

Then ask the customer to better define the required test, preferably referencing some formal standard or procedure or the like.

When you don't understand what the customer wants, usually better to ask them than anonymous strangers.

KENAT,

Have you reminded yourself of faq731-376 recently, or taken a look at posting policies: What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

I believe the screen is meant to keep stuff out of the vent, BUT it could actually be the opposite and the screen is supposed to be keeping stuff in. I would do the test both ways with various size of material and screen size.

vent hole should have fine mesh screen

The biggest word has only 6 letters and every word is in very common use even by people with minimal vocabulary. I don't know how it could be explained in a more simple or clearer manner. Is this a wind up of some sort.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

The reason the Swedgelock device is called a "mud dauber" is that flying insects have been known to build nests on the end of vent pipes to take advantage of the heat of the vented gas. The screens are to keep the nests from actually plugging the pipe which can disable a continious bleed level controller (the damn bugs still build the nests on the warm pipe, but the screen can blow out if it gets plugged).

David

Is this the setup line for a joke? If so, then I think it means the same as "Check them, to see if you rectum", an anatomical reference to incontinence. I believe the traditional testing procedure involves the pulling of one's little finger.

The problem is with the use of the word 'fine' instead of a dimension or reference to a standard.

I'm sure it was perfectly clear to the spec writer, within his or her little world.

To other people, 'fine' may mean 'just passes an egg rock', or it may mean 'just passes a blood cell', or anything in between.

You need to ask the supplier for a number, or at least a context.

Mike Halloran
Pembroke Pines, FL, USA

To seriously answer your question: screens come in different mesh sizes -- from coarse to very fine. A coarse screen might have openings as large as 1", while a very fine mesh could be as small as 1/32" inch. "Fine" mesh is somewhere in between -- I would classify it myself as a screen with openings under 1/4".

A trip to a local hardware store and talking to a salesman there will probably give you a real good idea of the different grades.

In your case you don't want a very fine mesh, as this would tend to trap dust and dirt and decrease the efficiency of your vent. But you want to make sure that the screen mesh size is small enough to keep out most bugs and large particles.

Patricia Lougheed

Please see FAQ731-376: Eng-Tips.com Forum Policies for tips on how to make the best use of the Eng-Tips Forums.

McMaster-Carr defines fine mesh as 61 x 61 mesh up to 1500 x 1500 mesh. The numbers are openings per linear inch in each direction. By this definition, Patricia's 1/4" openings would be in the "coarse" category. In fact, the 1/32" mesh wouldn't even qualify as "fine"!

-handleman, CSWP (The new, easy test)

Like MikeHalloran said.. Fine is relative and really means nothing.

Mechlady OBVIOUSLY needs to talk to her customer for clarification and all other responses here are simply guesses without more information.

We once built a vent block drilling machine for a customer that then covered the holes with "standard" window mesh.

Never did learn who set the standard but woven window mesh is suppsoed to be a set size.

Personally, if a custoter doesn't want to answer questions we are better off without them.

Tom

Thomas J. Walz
Carbide Processors, Inc.

Good engineering starts with a Grainger Catalog.

As others have already said, the particulate size needs correctly specifying by the customer or the unit's OEM. Otherwise, (and taking previous precedent for a corny pun), it'll be very nearly like the Laurel and Hardy punchline - "That's another fine mesh you've gotten us into!"

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one!

poor mechlady got run out of town.

I kind of hate upward facing opening even when screened off. For the same reason the white knight's lunch box was upside down in Alice in Wonderland

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back