Finite Element calculation for floating roof 11

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hamidreza1973

Industrial
Feb 5, 2022
IR
Dear All,

For your kind information, we have some internal floating roof storage tanks in our project. The client insists that we have to use the finite element calculation analysis for this issue -Pontoon and deck- to be modeled by SAP2000. Is it a normal request?

Best Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

What about other plates ? Did the owner supply only pontoon plates?

My opinion is ,if you want to optimize the wt of steel plates, obtain four bulkheads from each 6(m) x 1.5(m) plate ... You may use the pontoon width 2.8 m without significant waste for bulkheads.. Moreover, the total wt will be 11 tons less..

Bulkhead_variant_p07pkm.png

If your client is happy to see the rainbow, ask him for the extra money for FEA.
Since FEA is quite time taking activity and eventually will be involving the extra manhours.
Let him ask why it is particularly required? Even API is clearly providing the all manual calculation reference.

I have a great deal of envy and respect for the people who are good at modelling for FEA, and creating boundary conditions that make sense. The visual results are amazing and help understand the details of the stresses and strains. I just worry about the person reading the FEA results understanding what it looks like in the field and perhaps becoming overconfident in the analysis. Obviously FEA can be used, but taking the calculations out to 6 decimal places may be equally as meaningful as 2 significant figures considering the vast difference between an FEA model and the actual construction. I think FEA should be used when your assumptions are quite close to reality and the precision is warranted. I think that using FEA for calculating the strength of a floating roof pipe leg is no more useful than quick pencil and paper classical buckling equations for a column. It's like using a micrometer to measure the length of a 10 meter long piece of pipe when the pipe is field cut with a torch to fit conditions. Yes it can be done but should it? Does it lead to overconfidence in the results? Selecting the right tool for the job is as important as knowing how to use the tool and interpreting the results...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back