Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

finite element modeling of isolator

Status
Not open for further replies.

mdhayes

Mechanical
Aug 10, 2004
US
I'm performing a harmonic vibration analysis (FEA) on a structure. There is a component mounted to this structure via isolators. I have the specifications for the isolator, which includes a static load rating at a give deflection and a ratio of dynamic and static spring rates.

How can I use this information to model the isolators with finite elements?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks Greg, but I also need to capture the damping effect of the rubber used in the isolator. I'd like to represent the isolator as a sping-dashpot element, but I need to figure out how to calculate the dashpot parameter.

Guess what.

You can't put a damper into a conventional FE model.

The reason is that the standard formulation assumes that the damping is proportional to the stiffness or mass matrix (I can't remember which).

Tom's workaround is the usual solution, or else you export your undamped results to a program which can handle non proportional damping.

Cheers

Greg Locock

Thanks for the help guys. I've been reading through the ANSYS and ABAQUS help menus and through Harris's shock and vibs handbook, so I'm starting to "get it" now.

Greg--FYI...
It's proportional to the stiffness for "stiffness-proportional damping", and proportional to the mass for "mass-proportional damping".

(sorry, I couldn't resist [wink] )

Brad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back