Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire alarm vs sprinkler for open ended corridors

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sep 16, 2016
US
All, we have an AHJ that is interpreting the following scenario and i would like some feedback on everyone's thoughts and opinions. We have a 3 story wood framed R-2 apartment buildings, that has an open ended corridor that runs down the center. We didn't provide sprinkler coverage based on NFPA 13R excluding this scenario.

The issue is that the builder isn't providing fire alarms either for the building, and using an exclusion out of the IBC to accomplish this. It allows buildings to not require fire alarms of R-2 categories that meet x,y, and Z. To avoid the IBC wormhole, long story short it gets us to (2015e) 1027.6 exception 3.

"The Building, including open ended corridors, shall be sprinklered throughout in accordance with 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2"

The AHJ has taken the stance that although NFPA 13R does exclude open ended corridors, this line states we have to sprinkler the corridors. My issue is that if I follow this line item and sprinkler throughout per NFPA 13R (903.3.1.2), then these same corridors are excluded.

Thoughts? The builder is going to pay us to install dry sidewall protection and redesign, so it's not a financial issue, but I would like you all's opinions or if you have any further clarity on the matter.

Thanks,
Tyler

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Not an expert in the field

Scott can better speak to this,
But I think they are mixing apples and oranges,

I don’t think 1027 applies

I reviewed the drawing. The condition described meets the definition of an Open-Ended Corridor in Section 202 of the 2015 IBC:

2015 IBC Section 202 said:
OPEN-ENDED CORRIDOR. An interior corridor that is open on each end and connects to an exterior stairway or ramp at each end with no intervening doors or separation from the corridor.

In cases like this the Building Code provision takes precedence over the NFPA 13R provision:
2015 IBC Section 102.4.1 said:
102.4.1 Conflicts. Where conflicts occur between provisions of this code and referenced codes and standards, the provisions of this code shall apply.

In your case automatic sprinkler protection is required.

Have the plans been reviewed by your property insurance company representatives? Commercial insurance companies have in their staff experts in such field.

Thanks for the feedback, no the builder's property insurance isn't a factor in this job.

I do see where the IBC takes precedence over NFPA 13R, I guess my question is the interpretation of the line item itself out of IBC.

1027.6 exception 3.1

"The building, including open-ended corridors, and stairways and ramps, shall be equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system in accordance with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2."

It tells you to install a system per NFPA 13R or NFPA 13 throughout the building and corridors. But as corridors for this specific application are excluded from NFPA 13R, I'm wondering if this line item from the IBC is saying that 'when required by NFPA 13R, you must put sprinkler in the corridors' or if it's just telling you to install sprinklers in the corridors regardless.

I can see both sides, just wanted some feedback from others in the industry.

Scott,

So if I read this right

1027.6 exception 3

They could install doors and rate the walls as needed,

To eliminate the corridor sprinklers????

The intent of the IBC provision is to allow the elimination of opening protectives (i.e., fire-resistant rated door assemblies) at the terminus of an exit corridor, stairway or ramp when door assemblies are required. When you reviewed IBC Section 1027.6, Exception 3, a total of five provisions must be complied with. If it's the Registered Design Professional's intent to avoid the installation of opening protectives, then all five compliance requirements in Exception 3 to Section 1027.6 must be satisfied. I'm going to suggest that in your case where an AHJ is specifying sprinklers in the corridor of building protected by a NFPA 13R automatic sprinkler system, you may want to RFI the architect and ask him/her if their design was intended to comply with IBC Section 1027.6.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back