Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire on Bonhomme Richard 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

JayMaechtlen

Industrial
Jun 28, 2001
US
The Bonhomme Richard was docked in San Diego when something went badly wrong.
Still on fire for second day.
From the Los Angeles Times:
SAN DIEGO —

U.S. Navy officials said Monday that the fire ravaging the amphibious assault ship Bonhomme Richard for a second day has reached temperatures as high as 1,000 degrees and is still burning in various portions of the ship.

Smoke and fumes continue to affect the skyline and air throughout San Diego.

Rear Adm. Philip Sobeck, the commander of Expeditionary Strike Group 3, said Monday morning that the fire is in the superstructure of the ship and its upper decks and that the forward mast has collapsed.

“There’s obviously burn damage all the way through the skin of the ship, and we are assessing that as we kind of go through each compartment,” he said. “Right now the priority is to get the fire out so that we can take a complete assessment.”

Jay Maechtlen

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

According to a friend of mine who lives in San Diego :
"The Bonhomme Richard boat flared up again last night at 1am,
but sounds like they have it under control. The mayor offered
hotel vouchers to Logan Hts. residents bothered by the smoke,
300 took them. Temps got over 1,200 degrees on that ship."

Residents complained that the smell of the boat was like burning plastic.
B.E.

You are judged not by what you know, but by what you can do.

Not much to say - damage is extensive.
cno-gilday-promises-thorough-investigation-after-seeing-fire-damaged-uss-bonhomme-richard

cno-navy-thought-it-had-a-handle-on-bonhomme-richard-fire-sunday-night

The fire is another in a line of mishaps and incidents involving ships and vessels undergoing maintenance, which has raised questions about the risks and adherence to procedures and safety measures by both Navy and contractor personnel during those critical periods.

u-s-s-bonhomme-richard-prompts-questions-about-lessons-learned

The posting above refers to the USS Miami fire. The USS Miami fire report is posted on the Navy FoIA site

It appears that the Navy is treating the fire on the USS Bonhomme Richard as arson. And while they have not arrested or charged anyone yet, they do say that there is at least one person of interest who is under investigation.

Officials investigate sailor for arson in Navy warship fire in July

John R. Baker, P.E. (ret)
EX-Product 'Evangelist'
Irvine, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

The secret of life is not finding someone to live with
It's finding someone you can't live without

USCG medium Icebreaker Healy suffered a massive fire in the starboard engine and propulsion shaft while heading to the Arctic for a research mission. The fire damage is very extensive. Mission was terminated and the ship is returning south on the port engine for repairs. No replacement medium Icebreaker is available.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o We believe to be true what we prefer to be true. [Unknown]
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

RE Ice Breaker Healy…

A friend served on the USCG Healy... awhile back... and has been watching news closely!

REPAIR WORK HAS BEGUN! Progress appears to be relatively 'swift' due to proper-prior-planning [PPP]!!!

Fortunate for the Healy... when the two operational motors were procured/installed someone had the foresight to provision a 3rd motor as a spare... has been kept in good-quality long-term storage and is-being/has-been[?] transported to the drydock for installation. Due to the amazing 'velocity of work', I assume at the time the vessel was designed, the motor removal/replacement procedure was also carefully designed/defined by the designers... thru the side of the vessel! WOW!!!

I presume that the corresponding drive-train/shaft-system of the failed-motor is either repairable or replaceable in a comparable/compatible time-frame. No mention of problems this factor/element... no-news-is-good-news?

I sure hope the 'good' operational motor and drive-train/shaft-system is being given a thorough maintenance/overhaul/inspection... so the current work is worth the effort for years of service to-come!

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!
o For those who believe, no proof is required; for those who cannot believe, no proof is possible. [variation,Stuart Chase]
o Unfortunately, in science what You 'believe' is irrelevant. ["Orion", Homebuiltairplanes.com forum]

It looks like she could really use the drydocking to remove fouling anyway. I'm sure there's other underwater work too.

Brad Waybright

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.

Because yachts are often equipped with hugely expensive 'salons' right on top of the engine room, yacht yards are accustomed to, or at least able to accomplish, replacement of large items like propulsion engines and generators, working through holes in the hull side or the hull bottom, and restoring the hull to 'as new' condition.

Mike Halloran
Corinth, NY, USA

Ahhhh TheBard... Just realized your Quote is from Aristotle... how appropriate for a 'bard'!

Bonhomme Richard. What a waste! I hope the USN/USCG and Maritime agencies have learned ALL of the hard lessons of this incident... so it can NEVER happen again.

Good news about the USCG Cutter Healy... Repairs should be 'just about completed'... and will rejoin Arctic operations this year! Thank-you-God someone had the foresight to provision a spare engine ~30-Years ago [during design/construction]!

This is the latest article I could find. It looks-like the engine-change is a done-deal... and ‘patching the big holes’ [restoring the double hull integrity] are probably also a done-deal by now... if the schedule-estimate was accurate and no hiccups.

Heavy metal: It took a crane, a barge and a 23-year-old motor, but Healy will return to the Arctic

SOTCG: Get all the details on the Commandant's announcements
CGC Healy: Our goal is to strengthen maritime governance in the U.S. Arctic. There is increased activity in the region due to the rapidly changing physical, operational, and geostrategic Arctic environment. The Coast Guard Cutter Healy will deploy in 2021 to the Arctic, transiting the Northwest Passage and operating in the northern Atlantic and Arctic oceans to strengthen partnerships with Denmark, Canada, and other allies and to ensure a safe, cooperative, and prosperous domain for all.

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!

Bard... I can't help my self...

"I reject your reality and substitute my own.” – Adam Savage, Myth Busters, [he attributed to the movie Dungeon-master].

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!

New news...

"Ryan Sawyer Mays, 20, was named the primary suspect for the first time in the legal document, which was obtained by the Daily Beast and seen by the Daily Mail. Investigators were led to Mays after interviewing the 177 service members assigned to the Bonhomme Richard and several of them claimed to either see Mays around the scene of the fire before it was set, hear him say he was guilty while talking to himself or hear him express extreme disdain for the Navy.

The warrant also says a polygraph revealed Mays was lying about certain relevant questions pertaining to the events of July 12, 2020, the day the fire was set. And further red flags were raised when Mays allegedly also lied to investigators about his personal life, claiming he had gotten another sailor pregnant. When she was questioned, the sailor denied ever being pregnant and said Mays was 'volatile and bipolar.'"

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

TB3...

Thanks for posting. That article is tough to read. It deserves a star... but at this moment, I'm bummed. Later-Gator.

The vulnerability of a major USN vessel to destruction by a portside fire [sabotage] seemed unthinkable beforehand. NOW insider threats are viscerally very real.

This investigation points to the stark reality of the poor state of Naval preparedness... discipline=duty, knowledge, experience, training-training-training, leadership, etc ... up/down the ranks... needed to fight and win... against all-odds, all-fears and the dark/unexpected actions of adversaries.

I hope this is a 5-alarm wake-up call for ALL services.

"Plans are worthless, but planning is everything.” --Dwight D. Eisenhower, 34th US president

Regards, Wil Taylor
o Trust - But Verify!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back