Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fire proof insulation ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waterworks178

Mechanical
Nov 21, 2012
GB
I need to insulate an area behind a woodstove on a houseboat , the thickness is limited to 40 mm and behind it is 4mm steel cabin side, ideally this should be 100mm of Rockwool but there is no space, what materiel will give me the best insulation performance and also be fire proof ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Ceramic fibre blanket?

Just google it.

The fire protection is much more important than the insulation.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

If you put a layer of sheet metal between the stove and bulkhead and leave an opening above and below, the heat will create a convection draft between the sheet metal and bulkhead and will keep the bulkhead cool.

TugboatEng- Your idea is viable but for convection to be effective I would leave gaps on the bottom and top of the sheet metal and the spacer holding the sheet metal to the bulkhead should be fire rated. A similar idea is adopted in the National Fire code, NFPA 96 for commercial cooking facilities. Get a copy of that code as it will assist you in the design.

[ul]
[li]How hot is the stove hot surface?[/li]
[li]What is the allowable temperature of the 4mm wall?[/li]
[li]Could you insulate the 4mm wall?[/li]
[li]Is the stove surface parallel to the wall and presents a large heated area that is uniformly 40mm away from the wall, or is the 40mm distance a more localized minimum?[/li]
[li]How much flexure will there be? Would a block-type insulation, such as calcium silicate withstand the flexing without cracking?[/li]
[li]Why is this needed - inconvenient to rearrange, contractually required, etc?[/li]
[/ul]

3M Interam E-Mat is one option.
Flexible foil-backed white material in the photo:
Fireproofing_Samples_otzoox.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back