Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fire Protection system for oil storage tank bund wall

Status
Not open for further replies.

kald

Petroleum
Feb 26, 2003
US
How to design fire Protection system for oil storage tank bund wall ? , what is the minimum requirements , standard , procedure to follow ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I do not believe that the bund wall itself needs fire protection... I have never seen this in a code or standard

The bund spends 99.99999% of its time doing nothing.

Is this your question ?

MJCronin
Sr. Process Engineer

MJCronin said:
I do not believe that the bund wall itself needs fire protection... I have never seen this in a code or standard

The bund spends 99.99999% of its time doing nothing.

Is this your question ?

Actually, I found some companies standard required to install hydrant at bund area each 9 m and other required monitor
so I ask I there is any international standard for that

mk3223 said:
The tank bund area sizing for the oil tank can be based on NFPA 30, Flammable and Combustible Liquids Code.
I search in it, but I didn't found any refer to fire protection for oil storage tank bund wall

Areas inside the bund walls may be protected with foam monitors for spillage inside the area depending on type of liquid and other factors. You will need to check either your client requirements or the insurance carrier standards as suck installations are typically regulated by these two bodies.

UFT12 said:
Areas inside the bund walls may be protected with foam monitors for spillage inside the area depending on type of liquid and other factors. You will need to check either your client requirements or the insurance carrier standards as suck installations are typically regulated by these two bodies.
Many thanks

Also avoid any penetrations of the bund wall as this creates week points where you need to ensure fire protection to stop the bunds leaking during a fire.

Read up on Buncefield for issues due to bunds leaking during a long fire.

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

nfpa 30 or nfpa 11/ 16 for monitor coverage....the design intent is cooling of adjacent tank shells if you only have a fire water loop ...it theres foam also then you would be assuming you have a tank or tanks with open top/ EFR/geodesic dome/ or frangible roofs. ...even then you will still have a cooling water requirement...fixed monitors portable foam cannons, hydrants etc spaced as the code requires for versatility of tactics.

the intent of your fire system in a tank farm is at a minimum to control until burn out and ensure that the individual hazard does not compromise the integrity of adjacent structures, tank walls etc and that the equipment continues to perform as intended until the emergency has been mitigated....yes life safety too.....but no one is hanging out in the tank farm

in one of these nfpa codes the provide coverage density guidelines which you use along with your tank shell surface dimensions to come up with the GPM needed to cool and maintain the tanks structural integrity when there is adjacent flame impingement. there are also requirements that you are able to provide the required cooling water flow to the surface in question from 2 different points (or is it 3...?) around the wall.

that said , these coverage density values stated are assuming the shell to shell spacing at a minimum meets the separation requirements stipulated in NFPA 30

@littleInch

in addition there is a required 2 hr minimum fire rating for the containment ...this would apply to the sealing methodology around any penetration's...

The problem with that is that a pool fire in the bund lasts a lot longer than 2 hours...

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back