Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fire trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

remp

Mechanical
Sep 15, 2003
US
I work in a facility with dozens of air handlers and fans.
If one of the buildings goes into fire mode due to smoke detector alarm all the AHUs shut down as per the control strategy for that building.
When the fire trip is cleared back at the main Fire Panel (usually after a fasle alarm) some of the air handlers come back on automatically, some require resetting at the MCC panel and others require resetting at the BMS... a propper mess as you can imagine, when this does occur.

What should the proper reset strategy be in your opinion?

Regards
REMP

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

the best strategy is to avoid fire alarms [bigsmile], that should trip only at regular servicing checks.

all fans have to shut down, to not support fire, except smoke exhaust and smoke detention systems, if you have some.

in situation that you describe, it is likely expensive to do all modifications on control and power systems. if maintenance is properly organized, maintenance manager should see such situation as good opportunity for service personal to do proper checks at ahu's. if personnel complains about this, i would firstly think about their working habits.

What should the proper reset strategy be in your opinion?

its a pain but all fans should be reset manually. However, I have seen fans on a BMS have delay starts staggered, so all fans don't come on at once.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back