Fireproofing on supports only 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulettea

Mechanical
Sep 28, 2016
IR
Dear All

I wonder why in many engineering specs there is fireproofing on supports and not on the vessel walls. For examples it happens a lot that the skirt has a 50 mm concrete fireproof and there is no fireproof on the vessel wall at all. Any explanations?

Warm Regards

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IMO, it's the question of the extent of the fireproofing scope, effectiveness of the fire protection, and associated cost issue.

My understanding is that supports are the one closest to the main source of heat input (i.e. pool fires). Also, if the equipment is insulated and within a fire scenario envelope, a non-combustible insulation should be used and the vessel itself would be less exposed to the heat source.

That is in addition to NBrink's comment that the bottom part of the vessel typically have liquids which can absorb the heat.

Vertical vessel skirts and horizontal saddles are fireproofed so that in the case of a fire the vessels do not collapse, rupture and add more fuel to the fire (escalation).
I have seen vessels offshore fully fireproofed and not just the supports. These were fireproofed with Chartek and it was applied due to the possibility of a jet fire impinging on the vessels. Typically offshore vessels can be blowndown (remove the gas inventory) in say 15 mins. The Chartek is there to protect the vessel whilst blowndown takes place. Onshore I have only typically seen tall vertical vessels (columns) with their skirts fireproofed on the outside - sometimes on the inside dependent on vessel size and CLient requirements.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back