First time design a lateral force system

Status
Not open for further replies.

Repper

Structural
May 22, 2018
US
Hello everyone,
I am a structural engineer in training and as the tile implies this is my first time designing shear wall, diaphragm, and lateral force opening transfer systems. I am currently stuck on the transfer system and I do not believe I have used the most accurate of equations to apply my wind force. My design target is for 90 mph wind in categorize B environment. Using woodwork's shear wall program for CAD and the WFCM for my "by hand design". I do not have access to ASCE 7-10 at the current moment. Is there any tips to help me get started that you all have?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try to obtain a copy of Amrhein's book, "Reinforced Masonry Engineering". It has an excellent presentation of lateral force distribution. I did up a spreadsheet about 20 years back and just modified it to accommodate CFS cross bracing.

Check and understand what is happening... it took a bit of time to get into it to modify it.

Dik

https://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=c059f629-760e-4c2e-a9e2-7af8c55982ce&file=Lateral_Orig.xls
It would be important to get a copy of ASCE 7 and develop a comprehensive understanding of it.

Don't just depend on software to be your personal engineer.

Check out Eng-Tips Forum's Policies here:
faq731-376

JAE:
I found Amrhein's book to contain an excellent example... detailed with an excellent explanation. In doing up the original spreadsheet, also gain an understanding and a refresher... earlier sheet was modified in 2005, and was written before that. That was the reason for the caution in my post. 'Black Boxes' are great, as long as you know what's inside.

Are you sure he's up to ASCE7... just came up with a simple sign problem, and, from the doc, maybe shouldn't have asked the question <G>.

Dik

I cannot locate my copy, but, it's about 45 years old... at the time, it was a monumental text. one of the best i've owned. It's probably been updated a dozen times.

Should have added that the spreadsheet is a direct copy of his data. Another extremely good text is 'Engineered Masonry Design' by Glanville, et al. Dated a bit, but extremely good.

Dik

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back