Status
Not open for further replies.

irfan08

Aerospace
Jan 28, 2008
US
I am looking to find as much information about designing a metering skid,

Metering purpose - Fiscal
Service - Liquid Sulphur to another pipeline (main)

Some of the process data is available.

The reason for my post is this will be the very first time I would be involved in it. I understand the P&ID provided, but since being a mechanical guy I am very anal when it comes to what is required and how to devise the method for its solution.

I will appreciate if anyone of you have some experience who can lead to right path.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Liquid sulfur meter.

Would that be an orifice plate meter you want to use for that service?

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

It will be mainly Coriolis Flow meter Skid (0-38 m3/hr) with relative density meter. But the documents also mentions of Orifice design requirement per ISO 5167.

1. Construction of this skid is base plate with steam jacketed piping with 6" connections.
2. Coriolis flow meter need to be 300#.
3. # of runs in operation are (2) with (1) equipped run for master meter-TOTAL (3).
4. Density meter type is Coriolis meter output.
5. We do have to provide vent & drain with valve to prover.

Relative density?
A separate measurement?
Coriolis will give the density at flowing temperature; performance depends on which you choose but the majors all produce fiscal coriolis meters with excellent density measurement (subject to temperature) and will thus also calculate the density at reference temperature and allow specific gravity to be calculated.
I'm used to thinking of relative density in terms of gases... might just be me.

JMW

Well, technically the corresponding density of a liquid is relative to water, usually considered implied with liquids, but rarely ever actually stated as such.

"Pumping accounts for 20% of the world’s energy used by electric motors and 25-50% of the total electrical energy usage in certain industrial facilities."-DOE statistic (Note: Make that 99% for pipeline companies)

I also would like to understand the basic idea of having a sulphur metering skid and its need in petroleum industry. I am very new to this industry and coming form aerospace industry a big jump. So please apologize for redundant questions which may come natural to you guys.

Basically our scope of design is to provide (?CUSTODY TRANSFER?) sulphur metering skid, which they are calling Coriolis metering skids.

"Custody transfer" can use a number of methods of measurement, orifice plates, turbine meters, coriolis meters, positive displacement pump, or even tank level measurement and "strapping" volume table, & etc. Custody Transfer simply means that sulphur is for sale, and posession, or custody, is being transferred to a new owner, or perhaps another division in the company, so its being measured now so they will know how much to write up on the invoice.

I see.

BigInch,

Have you worked in intergraph PDS. The client wants to see our skid design in their PDS design. Based Intergraph rep, they can drop our skid design with proper connection points to their service using CAD compatible SAT or iges.

No I prefer working in steel, but I hear a lot of people use CAD

For custody transfer its around 1/2%, orifice meters I think are 1%.

Both orifice meters and Coriolis effect meters will be of little use for metering if your custody transfer range is (0-38 m3/hr). These meters have a limited turndown with the Coriolis effect meter having greater accuracies at low flows. What is the designed minimum flow specification for your metering system?

Zapster,

The design Min flow is 16 m3/hr, Nominal is 30.7 and max is 32.0, operating pressure @ 11.9 bar g, design pressure @ 15.20 bar g and operating temperature @ 135C.

SL1000,

Accuracy is (for coriolis, which confirms its not orifice plate)) +/- 0.10% = 1%

What does the requirement "repeatablity = .05%" means. Does the prover checks that or is part of flow meter.

Appreciate your help guys,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back