Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Fit Spline - Choosing Direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

maru487

Electrical
Mar 19, 2005
CA
When I use the Fit Spline tool and unselect the "Closed" box to create a spline segment, the direction that the spline enters/exits the selected geometry is never correct.

I use this tool to create wires (cant afford the add-on) in and out of connectors. And if you cant choose what direction you want the spline to exit from the choosen geometry (a construction line) then the spline comes out of the wrong end of the connector.

Is there a way to choose the direction the spline exits/enters a selected geometry?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I normally use Fit Spline to convert arcs and lines into a single spline segment. I don't think it was meant to fill a gap between sketch geometry (but could be wrong). So if you already have sketch elements defining where the spline will be, I wonder how Fit Spline could misinterpret the spline direction.

Jeff Mowry
Reason trumps all. And awe trumps reason.

I used a demo of the Wiring/Piping Add-on and then analyzed what the add-on was doing. It was basically using the Connection points as geometry for the Fit Spline tool. But somehow the add-on knows the direction. So I’m pretty sure it capable of being used as a wiring tool. Unless anyone else knows of a better method of wiring that is flexible in the assembly.

You can control the fit spline command using the "edit chaining" option. Click fit spline, pick your segments, then click edit chaining, click the endpoints of each segment where you want the fitspline to enter/exit from.

Matt

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back