FIU Pedestrian Bridge - EOR aftermath 9

Status
Not open for further replies.

samwise753

Structural
Mar 17, 2009
US
thread815-477378
It's been very quiet regarding what became of the EOR on the FIU Pedestrian Bridge, and the Florida Board finally posted the reckoning.

I figured there'd be a lot of us out there interested, and I was surprised it was so quiet. An interesting read if y'all have the time.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Cool Controls said:
How will this effect his licensure in other states? Since he did it voluntarily he can claim it was not revoked.

Probably moot, as according to his written statement to the FBPE:

Screenshot_2022-11-03_105730_vaj806.png

I saw where it stated he retired. This is after a federal judge ruled against Figg and the EOR petition to temporarily stay their debarring from working on federal jobs in August 2020. I'm purely speculating, but his retirement and this subsequent settlement with the FBPE seems to be an effort to insulate Figg in the future. Jack D. Gillam's disciplinary action took down his career and firm after the Hyatt Regency Walkway Collapse.

The only part of this I take issue with is the EOR's insistence (i.e. his written statement) that he did nothing wrong on the day of the collapse and that the report by WJE supports that claim. I can't support that conclusion.

So... no finding of 'incompetence' or engineering error of any kind?

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

I think that was part of the settlement. He had to turn over everything he knew about what happened. Waived all right to confidentiality of whatever he turned over to the FBPE. He had to fully cooperate. In return, he voluntarily relinquished his license and waived his right to reapply for licensure, and the board agreed to not pursue further action.

A sad end to an otherwise positive career. He did some good things, but at the end wandered outside the area of his competence, with fatal results. Perhaps a lesson for us all.

8. ...in denying any claims that he failed to appropriately exercise his engineering judgment and duties as Engineer...

Interesting statement, admit to a major ethics failure while trying to normalize it. Hopefully the victims' families are awarded his estate and all future income, and his past work checked for the public's safety.

The WJE report concludes that if specified roughening of the joint had been done, the failure would not have occurred. I think they should have added 'yet' to that conclusion. They found that the capacity factor at collapse was 1.0, and it would have been about 1.7 with roughening. Not enough for me. And the failure was with self weight only.

"A sad end to an otherwise positive career. He did some good things, but at the end wandered outside the area of his competence, with fatal results. Perhaps a lesson for us all."

"wandered"--I think there was a bit more intent there, than just wandering.

Also of note is that he (apparently) never questioned his wandering. If I "wandered", I do hope I'd go talk to other people to make sure I wasn't screwing up. Wait a minute. I DO!

In not doing so, there might have been some arrogance there, too.

Something else that is a lesson for us all.

spsalso

Yes, arrogance was a big factor. Pate was a well known bridge engineer, but this precast/posttensioned/truss/frame was not something he or anyone else had ever attempted.

I'm not sure the licensing board is acting in the best interests of the 'people'. [ponder]

-----*****-----
So strange to see the singularity approaching while the entire planet is rapidly turning into a hellscape. -John Coates

-Dik

IIRC, the report that Figg commissioned hung everything on not roughing the concrete surface and nothing at all to do with the poor design and also how the EOR seemingly ignored and poo poohed the growing structurally significant cracks in the bridge and then authorised a procedure which probably resulted in the final failure ( though I think it would have collapsed about a week later).

So a now retired and non practicing engineer gets his Florida PE licence voluntarily revoked and case closed?? Really??

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

I get all parties probably just want to move on from this event, but like LI mentioned, how is no one really held accountable? The day of the collapse Pate saw those massive cracks and said it would be fine. That alone is negligent.

I guess they were held accountable via the $103 Million dollar settlement and the fact that Denny will no longer be practicing engineering.

Having seen the massive cracks, and not closing the road during the ill fated repair attempt may warrant criminal charges.
It's not clear to me if criminal charges have been ruled out or not.

I think that's the real Key issue here for me - Authorising an unknown "repair" above live lines of traffic.

Bad enough that workers were put in danger and died / badly injured, but the gen public!!

Remember - More details = better answers
Also: If you get a response it's polite to respond to it.

Seems he is acceptable to taking it on the chin for a price.

nobody cares authorising anything that they can kick on the blame.

To be fair i must admit i have done the same in the past. Site sig, somehing stupid comes in involving cranes spreaders and utterly stupid loads. three ick in the boxes.

Why bother arguing? Just document your acceptance of the load but not the project. When it goes wrong tell everyone to feck off if you want me to be a 4th line arbiter last line of defence for stupidity your going to pay me more alot more. and I won't be able to do my current job.

MBA but you have to... Feck off knob jockey.... your disrespecting me.. Eh? When did anyone talk about me respecting you was a job requirement? Swearing is a sign of reduced intelligence.... Ok fucking work it out yourself then pansy boy good luck... Don't turn your back and walk away from me....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back