Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Fixed Displacement in positive/negative direction

Status
Not open for further replies.

dr2234

Materials
Dec 8, 2009
GB
Hi,

I want to fix a face (simulating a support) in a specified direction. The support is free to move in the +ve x and y direction, but not free to move in the -ve x and y direction. The support is also fixed in the z direction.

See attached image....

In ANSYS i can only see how to fix a displacement (by setting it to zero) in both the positive and negative directions at the same time.

Is there a way of doing this? Using springs perhaps?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could use springs with different axial properties, or you could use the good ol' fashioned gap element (contacts) method.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Is it possible to do this?

I have put a spring on the in the x and y direction and that spring acts longitudinally - therefore if i then apply a force to the opposite side, the sping will compress by the same amount it will extend. So this isnt really doing much better than having a fixed displacement!!

http://files.engineering.com/getfile.aspx?folder=4a127517-8311-43e9-b7ad-198b4569f654&file=Support_Springs_Query_1.jpg
You need to have a bi-directional spring with different compressive/tensile properties. Check the element library for COMBIN39.

------------
See faq569-1083 for details on how to make best use of Eng-Tips.com

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back