Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flagpole Wind Loads FBC 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

semiautomatix

Structural
Jul 7, 2021
US
I am trying to determine the flagpole design wind speed. FBC references FP 1001-17 and I am not able to find the standard anywhere.

FP 1001-07 however notes the design wind speed to be:
"3-second gust speed at 33 ft (10 m) above the ground associated with an annual probability of 0.02 of being equaled or exceeded (50-year mean recurrence level)."

Has this language changed in FP 1001-17 ?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You should contact NAAMM. They're website says 2007 is no longer available and there's no mention of 2017. Perhaps FBC has a typo? It's odd that a standard that was supposedly revised in 2017 is not available in 2024.

FP-1001-07 is the latest. It's odd that every organization pumps out a new manual every 2 years, and this hasn't been updated in almost 20. Not that I'm complaining.

Typically I use the wind loads from ASCE 7-05 which is specified in FP-1001-07. The ASCE tables aren't accurate enough for my liking so I use to the exact ASCE 7-05 wind speed for my project site.

Hope that helps

@Celt83
Normally I'd agree with you, however when the wind loads were reconfigured in ASCE 7-10, the load combinations were also changed. I'm not positive that somewhere imbedded in the formulas of FP-1001-07 this doesn't come into play.

FP 1001-07 just references ASCE and AASHTO and is just providing a means to determine the effective wind area of the pole and the flags for the determination of the wind load. Chapters 5 and up in FP 1001-07 are more or less independent of how the wind load is determined and if I recall correctly represent an ASD design so there is no reason not to use the current code loading. Be mindful that they use the 1/3 stress increase which is no longer permitted.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back