Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flange Information

Status
Not open for further replies.

zzz86

Mechanical
Nov 9, 2015
GB
Hi all,

Anybody able to point me in the direction of information regarding the design of non-gasket flat face flanges/bolted joints that have metal-to-metal contact of the flange faces? I'd like to familiarize myself with the design and behavior of this type of joint apart from what a quick google search throws up. Any books, websites or published material on the subject would be good.

Thanks.
J

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Is a pressure seal required at the flange joint? If the flange faces must be truly flat (ie. no raised surfaces), no form of gasket is permitted, and a pressure seal must be formed by bare metal contact between the flat flange faces, then you have a rather difficult design problem. Depending on the pressures involved you might be able to get a satisfactory seal by having very flat and smooth surfaces on the mating flanges.

I'm assuming this has a pressure systems applications? if so, review:

Section 3.8.8 of PD5500
Nonmandatory Appendix Y of ASME VIII-1

This should be read in conjunction with:

1. The archives on this forum, in particular those in the Boiler and Pressure Vessel section;
2. Mandatory Appendix 2 and Nonmandatory Appendix S of ASME VIII-1;
3. ASME PCC-1;
4. The Taylor Forge engineering bulletins;
5. Technical papers on flanges, including ASME PVP;
6. Books like the one suggested above.

Hope this helps.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back