Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Rolled cylindrical SM part with bent flange 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

oharag11

Mechanical
Jun 18, 2015
US
Hi I posted something in SW forum since that is what we use - though I have a general question regarding a cylindrical rolled part (large diameter) with a pre-bent angled flange along the length of the part. I attached a JPEG showing what I mean. I have to presume that rolling this part will cause large stresses along bend causing the flange to warp some. Is there a Sheet Metal expert on this site? Any other avenues I can pursue?

Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

This shows the amount of distortion required for each of three methods - note that the distortion for the third method is zero.

Forming/spinning starts with a cone - the notches are where the material will have to shrink to meet the contour.

I think I have done these right, yeah constructive geometry.

flat_pattern_v6wlnr.png

@dvd - bumping is possible only if accepted. It is not real radius without special tooling
@oharag11 - plate rolls, stamping of conical, then welding together
Based on your quantities and costs I believe you are looking for economic solution))) Spinning lathe I believe more than 1/2 of million GBP so even the rent of it will be quite expensive to consider the availability of spinning process. Or it should be turning machine even for big and custom made)))

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back