Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flange leakage design continuation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

vesselguy

Petroleum
Feb 25, 2002
CA
Hi all,

The interesting post on flange load design got me thinking about the existing ASME/ANSI B16.4/B14.3 flanges and whether they would pass the rigidity factor test in Appendix 2. Has anyone done a project where they did a rigidity check of off-the-shelf ANSI flanges with piping loads, hydro, and bolting loads?

Also, I am writing up a standard right now and I wrote this requirement in for custom flange design.

"4.3.9 Custom designed flanges shall be checked for likely hood for in-service leakage by calculating the flange rigidity factor (J) per Appendix 2. Flange thickness shall be increased if J < 1.0. The applied moment (Mo) in the equation shall include the combination of all in-service loads including external piping loads."

What do some of you experts think about what I wrote? Critique is welcome to help me improve on this requirement.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

vesselguy,TGS4
I've been using Visual Vessel Design from OhmTech for more than 4 years now.My experience is that this is the best software for mechanical design of pressure vessels and shell & tube heat exchangers. I especially enjoy to use the new module for flange calculations according to EN 1591. It also support EN 13445,ASME VIII Div. 1 and PD5500. The calculations seems to be very reliable and I saved hours of work. Try out the demo version, it should be available from

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back