Flange ring - ASME VIII

Status
Not open for further replies.

mech8790

Mechanical
Sep 11, 2017
PL
Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering if a flange ring can be manufactured from a pipe or round bar and still comply with ASME VIII rules? If not, can a flange ring be rolled from flat plate or bar and then welded? What are the requirements for the weld?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Hi Mike, thank you for your comments, you have made these points clear now. Additionally, I have checked Section II for a pipe material and I think as long as I avoid selection of a pipe with G5 comment it should be good to go. The only question I have got in my head is the calculations o flange rigidity in accordance with 2-14. Is this mandatory? I believe not. In my opinion definitely not for flanges calculated to UG-34, but I might be wrong.

mech8790, yes, it would be best to avoid using the higher allowables for flange design, where they exist. Note that the carbon steels and lo-chromes generally are not subject to this.

I doubt you would be required to meet 2-14 requirements, but I don't believe you have stated your design conditions. Would it be especially burdensome to meet it? (A little extra steel can be cheap insurance)

I don't quite get how you associate UG-34 with flange design. UG-34 is for flat heads.

The problem with sloppy work is that the supply FAR EXCEEDS the demand

Mike, I agree on you comments regarding 2-14. Good to keep in mind. The only issue is that people tend to get minimum what they need so if a ring flange can be lighter or smaller (in terms of t value) they will definitely go for that. Obviously, adding more steel and meeting 2-14 requirements keeps the design safe.

I was referring to UG-34 separately, nothing to do with ring type flange but wanted to mention it here to make sure that the rules of 2-14 (if mandator) apply to UG-34 too. UG-34 is refereeing to Appendix 2 just to obtain value of W as far as I am concern.

Perfect! Thank you Mike and everyone on this forum for the help! I can consider this topic to be closed now, all sorted out.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back