Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flange to web welds calculation of WWF 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

burtonSTR

Structural
Feb 10, 2009
US
If the flange to web welds is not develop the full capacity of web. How to check the weld strength?

Let say, web=30mm, bending f=0.6Fy, shear ft=0.2Fy, how to calculated the weld thickness?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

To add to this question, would you have to design all concrete anchors to take the full shearing force at base (i.e. 60kN/m at base)? or can you stagger the spacing up the wall as the shear force reduces.

I'm not sure I would use the shear flow formula for the case you presented. I'll explain how I would do it when I get into the office later this morning.

I would probably use the following procedure to size the anchors.

1. Size the angle assuming it is reinforcement for the wall.

2. Arbitrarily select some spacing that makes sense (maybe 18").

3. Determine the tension in the angle (at factored load levels) just below each anchor (starting with the second anchor).

4. Use the tension force just below the second anchor to size the first anchor.

5. Use the differential tension force just below the third anchor to size the second anchor.

6. Continue this procedure until you get to the max moment location.

7. Use the largest anchor at all locations.

I just made a quick spreadsheet and this does seem to work out. I was actually questioning myself because I started thinking that the anchor size would actually increase as you get closer to the max moment (that the max shear for the anchors would be at the max moment location), but that's not true. The parabolic shape of the moment diagram (i.e. the x2 term if you develop the equation) helps the diagram shoot up quickly then level off. The max shear in the anchors is still at the first anchor, so I convinced myself that it's completely appropriate (probably more so than trying to use the shear flow formula for this instance).

You can probably quit at step 4 since the first anchor will be the controlling one.

Here is an alternative:

1. Same as above.

2. Choose what size anchor you want to use and determine the shear capacity.

3. Use the formula M/jd (where M is the moment in K-in, and jd is the distance from the centroid of the compression block to the reinforcing - the angle) starting at the bottom of the wall. Set M/jd=<the shear capacity determined in step 2.

4. Determine the location where the inequality in step 3 is true and use that spacing everywhere.

Both of these will get you out of having to figure out which I to use for the wall.

The angle projects from the wall which does not really help. The rigidity of the angle is not necessary. Since we are considering the steel as external reinforcement, why not use a flat plate anchored to the wall to develop the tension required to resist the applied moment?

Calculate the force in the flat according to your moment diagram. Finally, provide enough anchors to develop that force. above and below the point of maximum moment.

Best regards,

BA

StructEIT
A couple questions:
wouldn't you still get similar values by shear flow calc? In essense, it relates the shear to the tension in the section adjacent to the cut? (Doesn't it?) Just curious if you checked your answers against shear flow computation to see if they are close.

At a 48" angle spacing, out of curiosity, what governing anchor 'shear' did you get given your approach? (If you don't mind me asking). My values were pretty high from the shear flow calculation.

JrStructuralEng,

Wf = 45 kN/m
L = 3.0 m
Mf = 0.1283*Wf*L = 17.3 kN-m per m

Tf = Mf/d = 17.3/0.15 = 115 kN per meter

The angle (or strap) has to take a maximum factored tension of 115 kN/m. The anchors must develop that force each side of the maximum bending moment. The spacing must develop the simple span bending moment at all points.

Best regards,

BA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back