Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flatness and parallelism

Status
Not open for further replies.

Koether

Mechanical
Jun 20, 2007
US
Looking some of our old drawings I keep seeing surfaces with a parellel requirement along with a flatnessness requirement of the same magnitude.

I was under the impression that parallelism already requires flatness to within the parallelism requirement, majking an additional flatness requirement (equal or greater to the parallelism) completely meaningless.

I did search for this but I didn't find anything (that I agreed with) that adresses this exact question.

from y14.5 Sec 6.3.3:
"Parallelism is the condition of a surface or feature’s
center plane, equidistant at all points from a datum plane;
or a feature’s axis, equidistant along its length from one
or more datum planes or datum axis."

A datum plane is perectly flat so I don't see how this doesn't require flatness.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If the flatness control is not a refinement of other geometric tolerances that control the flatness of the surface then it is an "illegal" specification.

Perpendicularity, Parallelism, Angularity, Total Runout and Profile of a Surface are all controls which can control the flatness of a surface so if one of those has the same effect as the flatness then the flatness is redundant and should be removed.

----------------------------------------

The Help for this program was created in Windows Help format, which depends on a feature that isn't included in this version of Windows.

I think both ISO and ASME see parallelism as controlling flatness. (The relationship between size and flatness would be different in ISO.)

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional
Geometric Learning Systems

... old, however can be a relative term.

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

I am completely making it up, but imagine this hypothetical situation:
Flexible part; Flatness is called "per unit" to make sure surface is smooth. However Parallelism can only be achieved in Restrained state, so in a sense Flatness IS refinement.

Also from "never say "never"" department.
Per Y14.5-2009 Parallelism may be called with "tangent" requirement, which allows for surface to "cave-in". In this case Parallelism DOES NOT control Flatness.
Since somebody asked for this, could it be the 70-s or 60-s version of the standard had similar clause?

Well the original drawings are from the 70s, they were updated at some point but no one really put any thought into the GD&T. These specifically call out Y14.7 (97) and the flatness I am referring to is total.

Thanks for the feedback, it seems I came to the right place.

It's paragraph 6.6.1.3 of the 1994 edition, or paragraph 6.5 of the 2009 edition.

John-Paul Belanger
Certified Sr. GD&T Professional
Geometric Learning Systems

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back