Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flexible Sprinkler Connection Spacing

Status
Not open for further replies.

ShawnO1

Mechanical
Oct 26, 2010
US
Morning All,

So does anyone have a nice spreadsheet setup for spacing the flexible connection outlets? My brain is hurting to determine minimum and maximum locations of heads away from the branchlines while still maintaining only (2) bends with a side outlet configuration. Also when you take in the ceiling heights changes while trying to keep your branchline elevation the same it gets tricky. I hate to reinvent the wheel but this is taking way too much time with a flex head and tape measure in the office. TIA - ShawnO

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

thanks for your response but I'm not asking about head spacing so much as I am outlet location on the branchline (the outlet the flexhead attaches to) vsersus where the actual head is located. I suppose the thread title should have been "Flexhead oultet location." If the head is very close to the branchline, say 10", and the head is only 12" below the branchline I choose a 39" flexhead (I wouldn't) then the flexhead would be way too long and create a cobbled up spaghetti mess of flexible piping. However if I space the head too far away then it will not reach and therefore a piece of pipe will need to be cut get an outlet closer to the head (then why not just use all schedule 40 pipe. Makes sense?

Figured it out. After determining the entire length of the flexdrop I deducted the takeout for the branchline outlet, the head, the difference in branchline height and ceiling height. Determined the minimum distance for a bend after leaving the outlet, and then the leftover flex. Using the Pythagorean Theorem I determined the radius of a circle to draw around my head thereby locating the outlet on the branchline.

Maybe it will help someone.

Nope

Have you used the flex line before??

Check the sixth post on this thread

Get one of those highly calibrated tools and as long as you do not exceed the bend in it, you are good to go

And sorry not a designer but you know pipe height, ceiling height, sprinkler head spacing so pick the length that is needed and not any extra ???

Thanks for the info. Yhe flex heads sound good on paper and they are easy to install but the key is outlet location vs head location. They are not slinkys so if it needs to be longer after the grid is installed you have to remove the installed flex drop i.e. drain systen, retest, cut pipe, add hangers. If the head is too close to the outlet it will bundle and there will be too many bends in flex for the calcs. Its forgiving but only so much.

Yes the friction loss is high but we only use the for special circumtances. Really high ceilings you do not want to have to cut drops back on later and offices in large warehouses where there is an abundant water supply. The cost of the assemblies plus the friction loss do not make them a 1 answer for all problems.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back