Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flexural Resistance using Skewed Reinforcement 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quade999

Civil/Environmental
May 29, 2020
US
Hi Everyone,

When using skewed reinforcing to calculate flexural capacity the codes don't really give a guideline about taking into effect the skew of bars.
I'm assuming you can look at the problem using basic Trigonometry in the example below. Would the assumption be correct that if I am looking at bending about the axis of the dashed line that my effective area of steel per foot about this axis would be As = (AREAbar*12in/6in)*cos(45)?

1_icvacx.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Are you reinforcing a corner in a two way slab, or the plan is skewed to the global axes? Can you draw more details.

Try lookup the 'wood armer' equations. They will allow you to relate bending about any plane to reinforcement at some angle to the critical actions.

Try this paper to give you some insight into the general problem.

If you had other reinforcement orthogonal to the skewed reinforcement in any alighment that isn't parallel to the plane you're bending about it also contributes to the strength (if you like you have both directions of reinforcement being "skewed" relative to your bending plane).

and if you have the same reinforcing strength at right angles, the slab is isotropic and has the same moment resistance at any angle...

Rather than think climate change and the corona virus as science, think of it as the wrath of God. Feel any better?

-Dik

What you drew is correct, though it might be safer to use the cos-squared form as in the image below as that matches how the bar spacing is usually specified. There's also a little more to the calculation of whether the reinforcement is sufficient.

When using the method below, I take the sign of Mxy and Mxy* as whatever requires greater reinforcement to avoid having to keep track of that sign convention.

20210101_181047_fjixmi.jpg

20210101_181017_gmewhf.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back