Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floor box 'support' prior to slab placement

Status
Not open for further replies.

DSAsteve

Structural
Dec 26, 2004
US
The Elec. contractor wants to place his (2 per classroom) die cast alloy floor boxes upon home made galvanized metal strap 'chairs' attached to the subsoil w/spikes.

This blows the concept of avoiding a path for electrolysis or corrosion.

AOR says its 'means and methods'.

I think it wrong.

Your opinions please.

(I am also posting this in the Electrical Forum)

Thanks, Steve (IOR)

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Thanks guys for your reply's.
BAretired, Out of Protocol, I wrote this up and sent ti to the AOR asking that the Electrical Engineer review the device that the Elec Contractor wanted to use.

It appears that the Elec Eng. never got the email. I'm thinking I'll have to send it to him myself and 'copy' the email to the AOR... ie. 'go over his head'.

When I get to my office today, I'll be going through my books looking for a code violation...

Truly, I am not vindictive. I feel that I need to do my job correctly, for my sake and for my client's sake.
CSD72, Yes it does sound like earthing, and I would consider it so. Thus bringing on electrolysis.

Inspector Steve
DSA, OSHPD, Inspector
So. California.

Electrolysis of what?

It needs to be electrically connected to yor structure to cause corrosion. Straps embedded in concrete wont necesarily do this.

Thank you for your interest in this.

with another's help I found this....

"CEC Title 24 300.6 (A) and 358.10 (B). Ferrous raceways may be used in direct contact with soil or in concrete but must provided with corrosion protection where subject to severe corrosive influences. You must review your soils report to determine if there are any severe corrosive conditions noted. You must also check your approved plans and specification for limited uses for ferrous or non-ferrous EMT. I would raise concerns where there are acidic soils or a high water table or saturated clay soils but the code seems clear."

Inspector Steve
DSA, OSHPD, Inspector
So. California.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back