Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Floor Loading 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

LStocks

Mechanical
Apr 19, 2006
US
My firm is primarily involved with process piping fabrication; however, we've been asked by a long-time customer (very large brewing company) to demolish and dispose of 14 old and unused condensers (basically shell-and-tube heat exchangers). They want us to cut these condensers into smaller pieces, and use cranes or carts to transport the pieces from the second floor in their power house to outside the building. They've told us the floor where they reside only is rated for 100 psf. As we've begun to plan the logistics, my question is how to calculate the loading on the floor if we use a cart, for example, to roll a section that might weigh as much as 2000 or 3000 lbs? If we use the point loading directly under the wheels, I'm sure we'd be way above 100 psf; but if you use the actually footprint of the piece being hauled, it seems like you may not be able to justify the floor loads. Any thoughts would be very appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

The 100 psf is the capacity of the floor as a whole...specifically what the floor can take in terms of its more primary members.

As you apply concentrated loads to the floor, the 3000 lb weights most probably will not over stress the primary members (such as floor beams or columns) but might overstress smaller elements such as individual floor joists or the slab system itself.

The best course of action is to hire a structural engineer to review the method of transport and check these smaller elements.

Its certainly not a global issue for the floor but a local issue. What is the slab construction? Can it span between support beams with a 3000lbs point load? If they know the floor is good for 100psf then they must know the floor construction.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back