Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flow reducer after a pump

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chronik

Mechanical
Sep 22, 2010
CA
It's been a long time since i had to calculate something like that so i need your help once more.

I've got a 38GPM hydraulic pump with 1 inch outlet that goes through a 1" to 5/64" fitting. What would be the GPM out of this reducer?

Thanks.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

That's a very small hole (2mm??)- try a liquid orifice plate calc - there's plenty on the web but you also need to kknow your fluid density and what pressure you're running at. Initial numbers are around 1 GPM so your pump will soon stop working or you're throwing money away throttling and re-cycling and then the fluid will heat up. Are you sure these numbers are right??

My motto: Learn something new every day

Also: There's usually a good reason why everyone does it that way

Take the max pressure of the pump flowing through that size orifice, and the flow you get should be about 99% accurate (for the short time period it runs, until the pump is damaged.)

I do not have my diagram but it is pretty straight forward : (im on my iphone right now)

It is the hydraulic system of rear-end garbage truck. The 1" hose goes to a valve that has 1 inches outputs. We wanted to limit the speed of an hydraulic accessory, so we put a restriction on the output of this valve. It does have a recirculating loop by the way.

It works perfectly, we managed to limit the speed of the accessory with the reducer, but now the client wants us to add velocity fuses. That is why i need to calculate the GPM/speed through the reducer to find the proper velocity fuse.

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back