Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Flowmeters on demineralised water application

Status
Not open for further replies.

1BT

Nuclear
Jan 22, 2004
GB
We are looking to install four flowmeters on the following application, has anyone any advise or reccomendations based upon previous experience of similar applications,

Product Demineralised water
Temperature ambient
Pressure 4 bar
flow rates required 68 m3/hr, 60 m3/hr, 54 m3/hr and 13 m3/hr.
Conductivity 0.2 micro siemens.

Hart compatible instruments are not acceptable as this causes problems on the high speed PLC counting circuits.

Regards

Bill

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

you left out the line sizes you are working with so presumably they are properly designed. as a no brainer, vortex meters are a good start.

You didn't specify the accuracy required. For better accuracy, Hacksaw suggested the correct meter and this is what we use generally for purified water and water for injection application. However, you can also check with orifice flow meters.

Regards,

1BT, When you say "de-mineralized" Do you mean, softend (as through cation/anion resins), simple coagulated water, de-ionized, etc.? This will affect fab. maerials. Another question, do you want volumetric flow or mass flow? Another question, what kind of accuracy and repeatability do you need? As for the mechanics of the installation what kind of upstream and downstream run is available? Depending on installtion you may need flow straighteners. What kind of signal output is needed? Digital or analog? Or do you want/need radio signal transmission? How far away is is the indicator or recorder? How much money is available in the project?

Once these questions are answered, the meter will just about pick itself. Once again, see either Emerson Process or Foxboro.

Hope this helps.
saxon

1BT, there are atleast 3 initial approaches I wold like to take when selecting a flow meter.
1) Choose the meter that is most familiar.
2) Choose the meter that has been used on prior, similar applications.
3) Review and consider all the factors that will influence the selection.

Once I have gone through initial process, I would like to ask technical questions,like
a) Is the measurement to be mass or volume?
b) Is the rate of flow or totalization required?
c) What signal is required?
d) What display is needed?
e) What are the environmental constrainsts?
f) What power is available?
g) What range is required; that is, what is the ratio of the maximum flow range to the minimum flow range?
h) What performance is needed? (accuracy)
i) What is your budget?
j) What maintenance is required and who is going to do it?
k) What are the ambient and process conditions, such as temp. and pressures at normal and extremes?
l) Can you afford an inline meter?
m) What is the criticalilty of these meters.

I hope I did not confuse you there.

Hi,

We use Vortex flowmeters of Endress & Hauser, Prowirl 77, for quit some time know without anny problems in several demin water applications. Temp 30 C; pressure 6 bar; flows depending on the application ranging from 10 to 90 m3/hr.
They are fieldbus connected by profibus.

see

Is your vortex flowmeter made of stainless steel? Is there any corrosion issue related with deionized water? Yokogawa promises 0.75% accuracy in vortex flowmeter. How about your vortex flowmeter accuracy? Is it around 1%? Could you please tell us your accuracy?
Thanks

Almost all famous manufacturers of vortex meters guarantee 0.5% accuracy with liquids. I used Endress+Hauser vortex meters in the past and they are very good. One main advantage with these meters is that you don't need extra masking device for external distrubances like pipe vibration. The shedder bar is the integral part of the vortex detecting mechanism, so external noise is negated at the source itself. Moreover, their pricing is better.

You can get the meters in SS construction and corrosion is not a big problem with DM Water.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back