Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

fluoride removal with activated alumina

Status
Not open for further replies.

aj12000

Industrial
Sep 20, 2007
US
I am looking for vendors that have AA systems for treating water for fluoride. Anyone have suggestions?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Try google. You need to be more specific as to the type of application, POU, residential, wastewater, water treatment, etc.

I have googled myself to death. That is why I am here, hoping someone can help.

This is for a small (125 gpm) waste water application. The upstream water source is groundwater, treated with RO. The stream we are treating is the RO concentrate with less than 10 mg/l fluoride. There is no POTW to discharge to - there is a NPDES permit restricting the F to 3.3 mg/l.

The plan is to treat the water with AA filters, then treat the regenerant waste with CaCl2 to precipitate the CaF2. CaF2 would then be filter pressed and land filled; supernatant would be discharged via a NPDES permit.

Here is a paper that summarizes the process:

There are some contacts listed there.

The filters are probably standard units that most of the major water treatment manufacturers can provide. Try Siemens.

I would suspect that it will be difficult to treat the RO reject because the other contaminants will interfere with the AA filter.

You are probably better off to just try to precipitate the fluoride with lime.

You can also try contacting the AA suppliers, they can give you a list of assemblers in your area. I would start with a top notch AA guy:

Jon Mogan
Alcan Specialty Aluminas
(jon.mogan@alcan.com)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back