Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Flywheel UPS, 500 - 1000KVA

Status
Not open for further replies.

apa6eightball

Industrial
Sep 23, 2006
US
Has anyone had experiance with industrial sized flywheel UPS systems? My company is plauged by service line spikes, brown outs, blinks and storm related outages. I understand storm related outages but our power company is unable to correct or explain the brown outs and blinks which raise hell with our many 3 phase hydraulic power supplies. We use several 10 to 15 KVA battery based UPS for our electronics but I need to keep the 3 phase 480Vac up long enough to absorb the blinks or for the generator to switch on in an outage. I've just started to research this subject and found that EATON has a 750KVA flywheel system so there must be others.
Thanks in advance to anyone able to share knowledge on this subject

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Most the utilities that I am familiar with in the states would have a 'power quality' dept. or person who can help diagnose your problems. I think you should be able to get your local utility to bring out a power quality meter that you can use to mount at the low side of the service transformer that you are having problems with. Hiring a 3rd party is definity a good option and if the magnitude of the $$ you're losing for each outage can justify that cost then I would do it.

If you've never used a disturbance analyser, follow ItSmoked's advice and hire a company to do the report for you. Check out their credentials and case history before you hire them. A decent consultant will bring a reputation with them - if they are any good then the utility will respect their opinion, which is a big step forward from a consumer complaining about a power quality problem.

Contactors dropping out on motors that big... sounds more like a 100ms interruption to me. 5-10ms dropout time is definitely not something you would see on a European 95kW contactor which is a near approximation to 125HP. US contactors aren't so far different as far as I recall. If the period of the disturbance is a few cycles then many possible causes open up. Sub-cycle problems don't have many causes because few pieces of utilty equipment are that fast.

----------------------------------
image.php

Sometimes I wake up Grumpy.
Other times I just let her sleep!

Scotty, Smoked & Hold
Excellent suggestion to hire a third party analyzer, I will present that at the next meeting as a first step "identifying the problem"..................'8ball

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back