Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

flywheel weight

Status
Not open for further replies.

nobbie

Mechanical
Dec 2, 2009
AU
hi all,a question from a newbie
i was recently given a dozer for my hobby farm but the dozer needs an engine,it was a komatsu d120 engine that revs to 1200,solid mount with a balance shaft arrangement.the engine i intend to fit is a similar horsepower ford/lehman 6 cyl diesel that revs to about 2200.
anyway to make the clutch assembly work i have to join flywheels,as the komatsu flywheel takes a wet disc clutch plate.so if i add approx 30 kg to the ford/lehman diesel flywheel will it work or simply cause problems with rear bearings,seals and or crank,
thanks in advance
great forums.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

just one more question,
because the komatsu engine had a balance shaft arrangement running off the crank it ran very smoothly and was solid mounted,so with the lehman diesel should i fit rubber type mounts or simply mount it directly to the chassis as the komatsu was? it may run rougher,but it will be hard to tell until its in and running.
thanks

The problem with mounting on isolators, is the short driveline, that has to be in pretty close alinement. The best bet is to use the same mounting system.

nobbie,

If the 6 cylinder is an in-line, it should have excellent dynamic balance. Probably better than the in-line 4 with balance shafts. So if you did not need elastomeric mounts with the 4 cylinder, you shouldn't need them with the in-line 6.

The 6 cylinder should also have smoother torque delivery than the 4 cylinder, since there will be less torque ripple with a cylinder firing every 120 degrees on the 6 cylinder versus only every 180 degrees on the 4 cylinder.

The aft main bearing won't even notice an extra 66 lbs of overhung flywheel mass.

Just make sure the max torque output of your new engine doesn't overload the existing gear train.

Good luck.
Terry

thanks fellows
i even considered putting a closed loop hyd drive in but ive no idea what torque would be required to drive a 4 speed 14 t dozer trans,it only has a small resovoir and may heat up quickly.then i would have to rig a cooler up etc etc.
i have a collection of hyd valves and commercial pumps but the formulae has me scratching my head at times.

hi fellows im back with another idea....

clutches..ive changed a few and understand how they work etc etc but am wondering about sizes needed and type of.

as i was going to change flywheels in the dozer and make a conversion plate to fit the original komatsu twin plate wet clutch that was hydraulically cooled and operated to fit the ford lehman diesel,well anyway ive run into trouble and am now wondering if i can fit a dry type,plate,pressure plate,throwout bearing type as in say a v8 truck.

how do i figure size needed etc

as it was

a wet twin plate powered and cooled on the back of a d120 slow reving[1200 rpm tops] diesel driving a 4 speed trans to move and push with a 14 tonne dozer

what im considering

an 8 yard v8 international dry type clutch
bolted to the ford lehman diesel,rig up a foot type pedal and make the old g'box input shaft into a driveshaft with a centre bearing[approx 600 mm length] to power the dozers gear box input shaft.

so am i dreaming
or is it possible

I have a lot of experience with off road equipment, but unfortunately not dozers. One question I have is whether the main clutch is used when changing directions? If so the oil cooled clutch would almost certainly be required to deal with all the heat generated during the very frequent disengagement/engagement. The dry clutch in a car or truck doesn't have to deal with this. A dry clutch could be used if designed properly, but that would take time and money.

ISZ

the clutch on this rig is for forward and revarse as well as up and down gear changes,mainly when the rig is stationary.
as its an old dozer,built around the mid 1960 s it would mainly be used sparingly on my small acreage in 1 st gear forward and reverse,pushing a little bush and towing logs at times.i guess that when its running along in first gear,there would be minimal load on the clutch,but perhaps taking off in second or third may generate heat?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back