Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Foam Types

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derek S.

Mechanical
Dec 20, 2016
US
Hello,

i have a customer that has indicated he liked a specific type of foam for this product. however, he neither knows what type of foam it is, nor where it came from. I have not come across this specific type of foam before, and i cannot figure out what kind it is? has anyone seen this type of foam before? i did measure the Shore A durometer to be around 35-40 if that helps at all. it is a firm foam, and acts more like a solid/rubber than a foam, except it permanently deforms from my durometer tester, but not from squeezing it with my fingers. it also has that high scratchy sound that sounds like a polystyrene type foam. Does anybody know what type of foam this is? or even a better way or place to look for different types of foams to check my sample against? Thanks

2016-12-20_08.55.46_n2uyrg.jpg

2016-12-20_08.56.20_okowk1.jpg

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You could order a foam sampler from a supply house like McMaster-Carr.

You could go get a polymer lab to do some forensics to determine the material make-up.

You could get your customer to define the characteristics of the material he wants, perhaps even with some quantifiable numbers, and then look for suitable polymers to do the job.

btrueblood,

thank you for your quick reply, unfortunately I have already compared the foam against a couple foam sampler type of vendor packet and found nothing super similar. the foam is from some obscure vendor somewhere in china, so I don't know how common of a type it is. the only quantifiable metric about this foam that my customer can give me is that wants that exact type of foam :/ I may have to send it out to a materials lab, but I'm still hopeful someone on this forum will have a lead. thanks again for your suggestions.

Best guess is that it's a polyurethane as IRstuff said. Possibly degraded by e.g. heat which discolored it and made it harder to give that scratching sound you noticed. Can be confirmed relatively cheaply at a lab with FTIR spectroscopy.

Chris DeArmitt PhD FRSC
President

Plastic materials consultant to the Fortune 100

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back