Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Focal lens and gas pressure

Status
Not open for further replies.

JeanFreli

Automotive
Mar 11, 2014
CA
I am using a fiberlaser and I often cut stainless steel.From what I read the focal lens can take hight pressure gas. Nitrogene is used for that. The guys who sold that machine told me always used high pressure with fiberlaser. Example: 11ga at 18bar, 12ga he put 20bar, .250 at 22bar. I have great result with lower pressure. Actually my cut are much better then his. he had a slice or dross mine is like the top of the cut. I cut the gas consumption a lot. My question is; do I dammage my focal lens faster if i use less pressure? I change the focal lens every 2 or 3 months.How long usually the focal lens last?
Thanks

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

From what i understand, the fiber lasers produce a small kerf so higher gas pressures are needed.
And probably due to the high absorptivity, too much heat means boiling the material rather than melting...
Does your fiber laser have a lens protection window? If so, i cant see using a lower pressure causing any damage to the lens.
Unless the cut is lost and back reflection occurs... but i would assume the fiber modules detect this and shut down.

Yes I have a protection lens before the focal lens ( which is sealed). I test the piece just after the cut and it is not hot like abnormal. I am very happy with your answer. Now do you have an average about the life of the focal lens? I mean not been destroy by the back reflexion but just ready to send cleaning.
Thanks

Lens life is very hard to judge. There are to many variables to say for sure how long a lens will last. Material, operator, environment, maintenance, time and such.

2-3 months before you switch but how often do you use your laser? we switch out ours about every 2 monthe but we run 3 shifts so the laser runs for 5 days straight and the operator has ALOT!! to do with it

I understand that a lens life is hard to gage due to too many factors.I took note of the date we change them since 9 months. Of course I did so many mistakes when I start that I have to erase some of the stats.It is the third weeks we put a new one and still doing good. Except today adventure I tell you later. The lens before was about two months and I was working almost seven days a week. Between 10 to 16 hours a day. As I go I learn more and the experience is coming so I expect a little bit more time for the lens. At least (like laserspider say) I have an average of experienced peoples.
Today I tought I lost the lens again. It wasn't that. The guy in charge of ordering stuff gave me a couple of protective lens and new nozzles to try. I imagine for saving more and more money for the company. So we are friday and since monday afternoon I install the new protective lens. Well this morning giant burrs suddenly appeared on a thickness I usually have no problems. After different checks everywhere from nozzle to parameters I decide to clean the protective lens. As I undo it I saw the lens yellow. I compare with a new one (which are the real lens I'm suppose to use) and it was clear. I install the new protective lens and bang....perfect cut. I don't know why it become yellow but for sure it masked the power of the focal lens.
Well thanks a lot to all of you people who read and answer. It is the best site I found for learning more and more on laser. You help a lot.
Happy thanksgiving

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back