Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Folding Partition Hung From Wood Attic Truss

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ben29

Structural
Aug 7, 2014
US
I need a gut-check on this detail. Please see the images below. This is our typical detail for hanging a folding partition from a wood roof truss. The hanging plate is 5/16"x 4" and is about 4ft long. This detail feels flimsy to me. Maybe this is not good for a tall bulkhead. I am looking for opinions or perhaps a better solution. Has anyone used Unistrut for this application? PS: I already talked to a truss designer and he feels he could get the truss to work under the loading condition & deflection criteria.

FP2_i71i0v.png

FP1_esihvs.png

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Looks quite similar to what I would do in the same situation. Not a huge fan of these in general, but it's not our choice. My only difference is the hanger is an angle as well.

@XR250- I was going to show kickers up to the top chord of another truss.

I guess I will need to provide continuous blocking of the bottom chord since it is an attic truss, and kickers would fly through the open area.

The trusses will need bottom chord bracing anyway for uplift on the roof. Make it coincide with your braces and beef it up a bit. Remember that moving these partitions along the track induces a dynamic load 'out of the page' in this detail. Using angles as jayrod mentioned and some bracing will help keep things stable. In steel framing the braces may not be important, but with wood framing I wouldn't want anything that resembled prying of those fasteners in your blocking.

Ben29 said:
I guess I will need to provide continuous blocking of the bottom chord since it is an attic truss, and kickers would fly through the open area.

Keep in mind that, as an attic truss, the bottom chord will have floor sheathing over much of it's length. That can serve much of the bracing function. It's pretty common for the bottom chord bracing path on an attic truss to wind up being across the floor and up the walls to the roof deck when there isn't directly applied bottom chord sheathing.

Overall, I like the detail.

I just noticed the field weld symbol. I'm not much a fan of that in wood construction, but it can be doable if they're careful. But it doesn't take much heat to mess up light frame wood members.

Does the folding partition part in the middle and move both ways, keeping the load on the truss symmetric? If it folds to one side, it places an eccentric load on the truss which would be a problem for the attic truss depicted.

BA

That roof likely will likely deflect more you want, unless you put some deflection requirements together. that roof will deflect under snow or wind and may impact operation of the partition, opr even just extending it back and forth it will likely sag.

at least this is often a concern i have?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back