Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest0527211403

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2004
CA
Hi All,

Here's my situation:
I'm a few months in at a new job. When I started here, the boss hinted that from time to time, I'd be asked to work on bids and proposals to bring in new work. This proposal work is not "billed" time, and so would be outside of the 40 regular hours that I'm assigned to projects. I have no problem with that. A month or so into the job, I received a bid package started by one of my coworkers and was asked to edit it and prepare it for submission. The grammar and language in the bid were lacking, so I cleaned it up, made it look like a professional document and submitted it.

The boss must have been impressed with my work, as he then told me that I'd have a bigger role in bid preparation from then on. I didn't think much of it at first and just went back to my regular design duties.

A few weeks ago, we received a new RFP which is much larger than anything the company has ever bid on. Moreover, it's in a new field where our company has never worked. It was put on me to organize the proposal writing effort from start to finish, including using resources within the company to develop the concept and do the background research.

The projects we are working on (for which we are paid) are taking us well past 40 hours per week. Adding this proposal would effectively mean adding 15-20 hours to a few team members' weekly schedules. It has been made perfectly clear by upper management that our "paid-for" project schedules should not be impacted, and that this proposal will "make or break" the company, so it should also be given our full attention.

Today I was chewed out for the fact that the team did not do as much work as they should have (on the proposal) over the weekend. I was told that it's my job to motivate the team to come in and work for free (recall that I've only been here a few months). When I ask how I can ask this of people with families, I'm told that it's "for the good of the company", and that people should be more than willing to work for free in order to ensure that they have a job in the future.

I'm curious to know how some of you have dealt with a situation like this in the past. I'm burning the candle at both ends right now, and my nerves are shot. This morning's roasting (of me) almost had me packing up my stuff and leaving, but I took a walk around the building, put my head down and got back to work. I'm willing to "suck it up", but I'd hate to see the lining of my stomach (if I even have one) in a few years if this keeps up. Words of wisdom from E-T members have gotten me through a number of pickles in the past, so I'm hoping that you'll be able to spare a little more of that magic.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I knew a guy when I was in college that worked at a restaurant as a waiter. Restaurant management asked him to terminate one of their employees, on their behalf. After he saw how much grief he got from the fired employee, he told management: "Next time you want me to fire someone for you, give me a raise!" I think that you are in a similar situation with asking other workers to put in free weekend work.

Thanks everyone for your responses.

Working more than 40 hours is a fact of life that I've accepted for now. I'm relatively new, and I do have a lot to contribute. For a company like ours, it's understood that we need to put ourselves out there, and hopefully it will pay off.

When I made the post I was clearly in a less than optimal mental state. I had worked through the weekend and had just been told that I was also to work the following weekend (and cancel on a large dinner with my girlfriend's family that's been planned for months). On top of that, the proposal I am supposed to be writing is going nowhere (different managers have different interpretations of the RFP, and each meeting takes us one step forward, two steps backward.. kind of like having too many chefs in the kitchen).

Now, a few days later, I've had some time to reflect and let off steam. My position hasn't really changed, but I do accept much of what's been dumped on me (for now). I took this job, so now I've got to deal with it until something better comes along. I agree with some of the responses saying that this is my chance to really prove myself to the company and pick up some very valuable experience. However, I'm not sure that I'm proving myself to the right people. For now, I'm going to keep at it, and polish off my resume.

Reasonable and justifiable.

It isn't reasonable to upset long standing family obligations. It isn't reasonable to expect two jobs to be done for the price of one.

The over-riding concern today is ones own good. Self first, family next, company some way down the line.

For the company to expect you to do things for their benefit their has to be some collateral benefit for you and the other employees.

JMW

...(and cancel on a large dinner with my girlfriend's family that's been planned for months)...

It's that kind of BS I have little time for. Working extra hours when it's mutually agreeable and there’s at least the perception of some benefit to you is one thing, but being at their beck & call even when you have other long term plans? There better be a bloody big carrot at the end of that stick for me to even consider doing that.

My first 18 months or so here they kept threatening me with last minute trips to customers on the weekend. Completely messed up our entire summer travel plans etc. and not one of them ended up happening but I never found out until my wife & I had rearranged our plans. That pretty much burnt me out on inconveniencing my family for the good of my employer.

Posting guidelines faq731-376 (probably not aimed specifically at you)
What is Engineering anyway: faq1088-1484

(and cancel on a large dinner with my girlfriend's family that's been planned for months)

That's a way to end up single, real fast.

Doing this kind of thing for brownie points only is a fool's bargain.

Yeah, that wasn't included in the OP.
Is it becoming a thing of the past to offer stock ownership plans, where your contribution is matched by the company? Wouldn't that make you a "shareholder" (however small) in the success of the company?

"Good to know you got shoes to wear when you find the floor." - [small]Robert Hunter[/small]

I spent Valentine's Day at a sister site sorting out an AVR failure on one of their generators. Was costing them a *lot* of money. It was important enough for me to set off in the small hours to drive to the other side of the country, to cancel a romantic dinner with my wife which had been booked a couple of months in advance, and for me to arrive home so tired that I fell asleep within half an hour. Anyone care to guess what I got as thanks?

----------------------------------
image.php

If we learn from our mistakes I'm getting a great education!

"Your Dinners in the dog and you're sleeping on the couch for XXX days (the forseable) future"?

There are some jobs where that kind of thing comes with the territory but those jobs usually have some kind of compensation be it higher base rate, or some kind of overtime or inconvenience pay etc. However, for a job advertised/contracted as essentially 40 hours in the office with occasional travel, it's BS.

You've gotten alot of good responses here. It comes down to how much over-time and effort YOU can put in. You made some comments alluding to the fact that you are physically and mentally spent. Sounds like you've reached your limit.

What you'll have to evaluate in the coming weeks is... Is this type of effort going to go on forever or will that amount of over-time taper off to a point you can handle.

I was in a similar situation with regards to over-time and stress. It wasn't a proposal effort but just the day to day of a particular company I worked for. It seemed the expectation was "don't work smarter just work more hours like everyone else". That wasn't the environment for me. I made it 14 months and then moved on. Thats 2 months past satisfying the terms of the move plan the company gave me.

My advice. Life is short. Do something you enjoy. If it feels wrong and you think you are being taken advantage of....you probably are.

Good luck.

"yea I can work the weekend, I can be in at 8, but gotta leave at 5 for a family function. Sunday I have church....also, when I was hired, I dont remember having people report to me....I will be here, their boss needs to tell them to be here."

Things like this make me so mad. I was just put on notice that effective immediately ALL engineers will be working weekends until further notice because a couple of projects are behind. My work is not behind, but I am being punished "for the good of the company" because some of my coworkers can't get their acts together.

Here is a paraphrasing of a discussion I just had with my boss. I am so angry I feel like walking out and telling them where to shove it.

ME: "I have a problem with working next weekend. I have plans to go away."

BOSS: "We will see how the projects look next week and if everything is looking in better shape, I will APPROVE you taking the time off."

ME: "I have reservations for that weekend that I made several months ago, I am taking that weekend off."

BOSS: "Wait, you are TELLING me that you are taking that time off? You don't TELL me that you are taking time off, that's insubordination and grounds for termination!"

ME: "But boss, we are talking about a weekend, I don't need your approval to make plans for my free time."

BOSS: "You're salary aren't you?"

ME: "Yes"

BOSS: "You DON'T have free time as a salaried employee. You are supposed to be job focused and you are expected to work whatever days and hours I deem necessary to get the job done."

Let's just say, I think it's time to dust off the old resume.

spongebob007: I'd consider the dusting off and distribution of your resume your FULL TIME JOB with a boss like that to report to!

Taking a salary is not akin to indentured servitude. Your boss had better get that sorted out in his head before he ends up as the last employee...

Spongebob, if that was me, I would have given notice then. In any case, if my projects were on schedule and I could not directly assist a project that was behind, I would not work any extra hours.

Peter Stockhausen
Senior Design Analyst (Checker)
Infotech Aerospace Services

Wouldn't it be a shame if you came down with suspected H1N1 that weekend...

Definitely look elsewhere, and it may be worth looking into local labor laws as even salaried/exempt or whatever you location calls it have a few rites left.

Spongebob007:

The "boss" is a complete idiot.

My words would have been:

"I apologize for the inconvenience. I will see you Monday."

I spent three consecutive years with one employer in the past where my annual vacation was cut short because they called me on my cell phone and asked (more like demanded) that I come back to work. What I got, as a reward for this dedication, were three consecutive forfeited vacations. That's it, that's all.

Even where I am at now, when I am involved in my annual vacation "work away from work" (as a performer in a live entertainment show), I still field calls and emails in the hotel at strange hours and back-stage (even on-stage) in between shows. However, at least now I am with an employer who understands the work-life balance and goes out of his way to preserve it - which is why I take my cell phone and laptop with me on "vacation".

But, for the kind of "boss" described in your post...on the issue of working on my time off, I would be inclined to think that unfortunate things happen at bad times, like hard disk crashes in my lap top; cell phone confiscated by airport security...or it got wet...

Once when I was fishing on a lake in a chartered boat on my day off (I was "on-call" at work), I got the dreaded "come in to work" phone call. I did. The next weekend, I was also fishing while on call, but while pulling up the anchor, my cell phone popped off my vest and plooped into the water. Sure enough, the "dreaded phone call" came that weekend, too, but of course I didn't know. I do remember that whatever crisis existed somehow got resolved without me.

Regards,

SNORGY.

I remember a few years ago reading right wing attitudes about how corrupt trade unions where and how in this day and age they were no longer necessary because workers rights were so entrenched and bosses could never get away with and would never try bullying employees again. I wonder if their is a shift in that attitude as more of these situations become apparent.

Regards
Pat
See FAQ731-376 for tips on use of eng-tips by professional engineers &
for site rules

Labor unions don't apply to salaried ("exempt") workers. US labor law definitions, etc., your mileage may vary, please consult operating manuals...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back