Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

For Weld assistant a promoted body needs to be created. Why?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DipakPatil333

Industrial
Jun 26, 2013
FI
Why we need to create promoted bodies or wave link before using weld assistant.
I given fillet weld by using assistant. It created the weld but when my parts are modified the weld does not update.
If I try to edit it gives error: UNEXPECTED TOPOLOGY ENCOUNTERED
And when I give the same weld on promote bodies it updates very well without error.

My question: why we need to create promote or link bodies for using weld assistant?

Please clarify.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

You need the promoted (wave linked) surfaces in the weld part for the weld software to 'attach' the weld to.

"Wildfires are dangerous, hard to control, and economically catastrophic."

Ben Loosli

That is what my question. Why we have to do promote or link body before applying welds.
Please tell me the reason in detail. or there is any another way to do this without promote or link bodies.

In order for there to be associativity between the parts of the framework and the welded-assembly, you need to Promote/WAVE link the bodies.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

I am not convinced or do not understand...
no where in help or cast of NX 8.5 it is mentioned that you need to promote or link first
for using weld assistant.
And if that is the case then why it allows to give weld without promoting or linking bodies.
Wirh error on editing: UNEXPECTED TOPOLOGY ENCOUNTERED

????????

There is NO need to do any sort of Promotion or WAVE Linking IF you're adding welds to the same part where the models were created, but if you're working in the context of any Assembly, while you can still create welds they will not properly update if you don't Promote or WAVE Link the components first.

John R. Baker, P.E.
Product 'Evangelist'
Product Engineering Software
Siemens PLM Software Inc.
Industry Sector
Cypress, CA
Siemens PLM:
UG/NX Museum:

To an Engineer, the glass is twice as big as it needs to be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back