Force calculation of sphere against plane

Status
Not open for further replies.

davidrdguez

Mechanical
Apr 24, 2010
DE
Hi there!

I need to check the maximum weight we can put on a platform we have.

There are different parts between this platform and the floor. It doesn't seem difficult to check each part, but the platform is place on the top of three feet like the one in the attached picture: a sphere touching a plane.

In theory the sphere touches the plane in one point.

How can I know the maximum load?

Thank you
Regards,

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I would say check your statics...assume as a point load, and check each component. Or, check each component for a max load, and then use the lesser value.

Hi ztengguy,

Yes, I'll check the statics. and each component. This is not the problem

What I need to know is what happens in between these two parts (spherical and planar)

Cheers,

You need Hertz's theory of contact pressure. See in the first site below, under Other -> Hertz -> Spheres -> Sph.on flat , but you'll also find plenty of articles by googling.
The allowable stress is defined by the code in effect. It should be at least 3-4 times the allowable stress in tension.

prex
: Online engineering calculations
: Magnetic brakes and launchers for fun rides
: Air bearing pads

If you have access to a copy of "Roark's Formulas for Stress and Strain," there are good tables for contact stresses, including your particular case of a sphere on a flat plate.

Regards,

Brandon

Note that in some similar situations, such as bolts bearing in bolt holes, it is simply assumed that some yielding will be going on and will not be objectionable- something to keep in mind if you get unreasonable results with the Hertz stresses.

You will get what appear to be unreasonable stress results, and the Hertz stress calcs. do assume that some yielding will take place. But, it is yielding in bearing, and in a confined and supported bearing area. The problem becomes significantly more complex if the two materials do not have essentially the same mechanical properties.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for the answers

- The xcalcs page is very cool. I made some analysis and I got the following results:
Average compressive stress: 1340 MPa
Maximum compressive stress: 2010 MPa
The contact is steel against steel. Supposing a yield strength of 200 MPa I'm out of the 3-4 times

- I don't have the Roaks but I found other info. For instance:
(but I don't get the same result in the equation 11!)

- I need to have the flat surface, this is an accurate alignment system where these feet have to slide on the flat surface.

Cheers

Cheers Greg. I should have remembered, I had a very early version. It has grown since then, it looks like a great program.

Michael.
Timing has a lot to do with the outcome of a rain dance.

if you want accurate alignment and a sliding interface, then i guess either you change the steel (a higher strenth steel should get you an Fbru that works) or you change the contact (put a flat on the sphere, and redesign how it attaches to the body so you can ensure the four feet have a common plane).

Nonsense.
E' should be GPa, and a deformation of 1.4 mm under 10 N is ridiculous.
You didn't specify your dimensions for us to check.
Anyway consider that a structural code will normally allow for a permanent deformation under the sphere, but this is of little importance in that case, as the spherical support will normally not move.
In your conditions you risk to degrade the flat surface by the repeated local deformations by the moving sphere, so you should consider a lower allowable.
You should look into the allowables for ball bearings, that should be (maximum stress) of the same order as the fatigue strength.

prex
: Online engineering calculations
: Magnetic brakes and launchers for fun rides
: Air bearing pads

Hi there,

I contacted the author of the paper and he agreed there are mistakes.

I have a 50 mm Radius feet (10.9 quality) against a 16MnCr5 plate

The point is I can't say how much weight we place, but what's the maximum one

cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back