Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Force from rotating cylinder 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

jdmmech

Automotive
Feb 5, 2015
US
I have a hollow cylinder rotating at about 2800rpm max. I welded the bottom of a small tab to the end of the cylinder, and want to find the force acting on the tab that would bend it away from the cylinder at those high speeds. Any thoughts?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Jdmmech:
Centrifugal force maybe? You know the weight/mass and the C.G. of the tab. You know how it is connected to the cylinder. You know the angular velocity of the tab. That ought to about do it.

If I understand the scenario, the tab is tangent to the cylinder wall, and you're looking to see how the tab might bend under centrifugal force. This would identical to one of the examples in Roark and Young, so you'd have a simple plate that fixed at one edge with a uniform force applied.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Need help writing a question or understanding a reply? forum1529

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!
There is a homework forum hosted by engineering.com:

?? but it's rotating on its axis of symmetry, no?

If so, there is no bending force because all the force is in-plane to the tab. I was expecting the tab to the parallel to the tangent of the circle, in which case, the force =V^2/R

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Of course I can. I can do anything. I can do absolutely anything. I'm an expert!

Yes it would be rotating on the cylinders axis. If the tab was parallel to the tangent of the circle, I could see the centrifugal force that would make it bend. But since it is in the same plane as the tab, it won't bend at all? Even at high rpm with a thin gauge steel tab? I appreciate all your input!

well the center of mass of the tab is a distance from the base so there'd be a small inertial force and so a small in-plane moment.

what is it now ? acceleration is w^2*r, mass = m, offset from base = h/2 ... moment = m*w^2*r*h/2

another day in paradise, or is paradise one day closer ?

Jdmmech:
In the orientation you show the tab, it will not have a bending moment under ideal conditions, as Irstuff suggests, the loads will be in the same plane as the tab. But, a thin tab at that angular velocity might likely act as a thin, unstable airfoil, and vibrate off the cylinder in short order. Also, that tab will cause the entire cylinder to be out of balance if that can be a problem.

the way I see it, it would ... the shaft rotates about it's axis, there'd be a (small) inertial load in the tangential direction from the rotation, causing bending about the strong axis of the tab.

rb1957 & IRstuff: So you are suggesting it would bend slightly at the top of the tab in the direction shown in this pic attached?
That direction would be insignificant to me. However, any bending/vibration in the other direction previously posted would be damaging.

Balancing is not relevant to this question, simply because this is oversimplified.

mea culpa ... don't post unless you know what you're talking about !

agree with IR. I thought there'd be some small tangential inertial effect, but not now. there is as the shaft accelerates, as w changes; but not when w is constant.

I think ...

There would a TINY aerodynamic drag force in that direction, but the centrifugal force is radially outward, like the force that keeps a car against the track in a loop the loop.

TTFN
faq731-376
7ofakss

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back