Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Force in - force out 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hoosier1

Mechanical
Jun 7, 2007
US
I'm trying to develop a mechanical mechanism that will allow 3-6 lbs of force-in to get 18-21 lbs out. Size would be 5sq" X 2” I would like to construct it without using electricity, fluid, etc. Must be portable. Could flat spring material be designed to do this?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

IRstuff - Can you show an example of a modern crank-loaded crossbow?

CorBlimeyLimey - In-line, Stroke=2", Materials: any, Cost:?

is 2" the input or output stroke?

If its the input you are going to have ~0.5" ouput stroke at 24lbs with 6lbs input.

If its the output stroke you are going to need ~8" of input stroke.

how about 2 facing racks, and two twin gear shafts?

Kinda like:
Code:
------------------                Input rack
   OoOo                           Gears (x4 force -- direction change)
   -----------------------------  Ouput rack

Nick
I love materials science!

NickE - The overall depth is 2". I see your method as mechanical advantage. I need to keep the force on the same axis. The 6lbs in with an output of 24lbs is much what I'm trying reach.

Unless you set it up as an amplifier, a simple mechanical advantage will cost you in stroke. So if you design a mechanism with a 4:1 mechanical advantage and you push the input one inch, the output will push four times as hard as the input, but only 1/4 as far (1/4"). This is because of conservation of energy, though it can be done with simple mechanisms like levers, pulleys, or inclined planes, etc.

In the case of an amplifier, you can have more force at the same stroke, or even a larger stroke, but you have to have an external source of additional energy, like a hydraulic pump or motor. In this case, a small pressure on a spring-loaded valve can cause massive, though proportional, amounts of force at the output, but it is technically produced by the pump, not the input force itself.

Don
Kansas City

Even though you said no fluid, coaxial pistons with a fluid between them might be the simplest. A 2 to 1 diameter difference gives a 4 to 1 force increase.

And don't forget that the "whatever" will need to be anchored to something capable of resisting the difference between in and out, 18 pounds in the example case.

NickE's solution could be made co-axial with a few extra characters:

[------------------
-[ OoOo ]-
-----------------------------]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back