Foundation Design 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Aussie Dave

Structural
May 2, 2019
GB
Hi All,
I have a two story house seperated by a party wall and I am working out the foundation sizes for the properties before they are built. I have a ground bearing strength of 100KN/m^2, so I have calculated the party wall to be taking a load of 60kN/m^2 on either side of the party wall. Does this mean I need to calculate the foundation as either
(120kN/m^2 /100KN/m^2) = 1.2m wide foundation because the two houses share the same foundation or should I use 60KN/m^2 / 100KN/m^2 = 600mm standard strip foundation?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Your units are inconsistent, the party wall load should be in kN/m so you need to multiply the 60kN/m^2 by the tributary width on each side of the wall. The footing width would then be calculated by diving the allowable soil bearing pressure by the wall line load. If the 'ground bearing strength' is the allowable bearing pressure then you wouldn't factor your wall loads - check with your Geotech.

It would be 100kN/m^2 / 120kN/m = 0.833m.

I would make it a 900mm wide footing assuming this can accommodate the total wall assembly and allow for some tolerance.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back