Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Foundation Repair for Right Angle Pipeline Compressors

Status
Not open for further replies.

dwedel

Mechanical
Jan 19, 2004
US
Since it is just you and me here, please allow me the latitude to start a new topic.

Have you had any experience with foundation repairs in you history? I am working with I-R KVGs and engineering on some foundations we are repairing. I have spoken with Rowan, Reynolds-French, Arrow, and Tejas Maintenance. Any luck with any of these?

We are having some issues with some Carters Waters product that we used as an engine interface with some precision chocking systems. I am also trying to speed up our concrete set times with quicker curing concrete.

Just thought I would try to make conversation ...

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

My experince is with smaller machines you can drop in the dirt on wellsites, nothing bigger than 1,00 hp. I did do some work on a bridge foundation once, but the loads are so different that wouldn't help much.

David Simpson, PE
MuleShoe Engineering

dwedel,

i'm well acquainted with large bore engine foundations and have done a ir-kvg for that matter. in fact, engine type does not really matter.

been 10 years or so since, but summarizing...

the foundations were replaced with engine/compressor in place. as existing concrete was removed, a steel support structure, with jacking bolts was installed to support engine/compressor. once bad concrete was removed, a reinforcing cage (rebar) was installed. pour new concrete to within 3 inches of existing engine foundation. cap foundation w/ 1" epoxy and embed a galvanized metal drain pan. pour the final 2" of epoxy under each engine footing, with the assurance that the engine's web deflections are w/in tolerance.
there are many variants as to epoxy and/or engine sole plates and alignment jacks. whoops, before i forget, the new engine tie-down bolts consisted of a 2-bolt system in which the upper bolt was a load monitoring bolt and utilized a super-nut. the 2-bolt system length is nearly the entire length of engine foundation as old foundations were cracked & deterioated at existing tie-down bolt length. you want to utilize the entire engine foundation to hold the engine in place.
in terms of reputable company's, the 1st and 3rd you mention have been used for their services. the epoxy mfg you mention is also a reputable supplier and we used their products. my memory is fading, but there is (or was) another company that had the resources to do engine foundations as well. in fact, this outfit did engine foundation replacements w/in a 2-3 week schedule. rather aggressive and he accomplished the job with great success. if requested, i can determine this outfit. i now remember the guy's name, but will not publish it as i do not know whether or not he is still in the business.
as far as concrete, we used a silica fume concrete mix and i cannot remember the slump - thinking 8", but not certain. in some cases, plastersizers were used as the travel time to plant was long (2-hours).
probably a little more than you needed, but i trust this helps.
-pmover

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back