Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Eng-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Franchise II 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pressed

Mechanical
Aug 24, 2005
US
There are franchises available that offer the service of saving expenses for clients. They include energy savings along with a host of other expenses, a couple of franchises deal only with saving energy for a client. A google for franchise+energy gives some reference data.

Anybody familier with these franchises, any thoughts? Of what I have gleaned so far: some programs involve purchasing something that saves energy along with a payback justification plan. Can a good mechanical engineer obtain the needed training elswhere, maybe bypass the franchise? I heard of a certification for utility cost savings, don't know any details, yet.

I thought about this type of thing many years ago when on a company-wide cost savings spree. Energy shows in the top grouping of costs for most manufacturing plants. A good sell for this service is that all fees are based on performance, so telling a client that the goal is to save them as much as possible is absolutely true.

==========================================
Business Card __________________________________________
Cycle Heaven.......

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

With all the free info available on Eng-Tips and other Internet sites, why pay a franchise fee???

This (I looked at an infrared imaging set-up & software program for payback on thermal insulation, better windows, etc.) might be a good idea for a building contractor. But, as a building owner or manufr., I'd first get free help from the electric co., the natural gas co., boiler & HVAC controls (Honeywell) & electric motor (Leeson) vendors, insulation mfrs., state & DOE programs, etc. Hard to compete with free. Maybe a bit cynical, but I think that the easy savings are gone, and the people who need assistance the most are the stingiest about paying for professional help.

A form for facility energy (utility) savings programs:

Also, Engineered Systems emag might be helpful:

kenlach

The franchise that re-sparked the interest is for industrial businesses like manufactures and processors, big energy consumers. No residential homeowners.

If anybody knows of energy saving training or certifications, even though they have no ideas about any franchise, please share it.

==========================================
Business Card __________________________________________
Cycle Heaven.......

Look into AEE, Association of Energy Engineers, for training and certification.

A few thousand dollars will get you well on your way to being a CEM, Certified Energy Manager.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Sponsor

Back