Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free Body Results interpertation 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

Michel1978

Mechanical
Nov 12, 2008
NL
Hello,

I wonder how the "Free body Results" in NX Advanced Simulations works. I would like to know all the acting forces on a surface or a random chosen intersection. I heard this should be possible with this function.
But when I calculate a bar with a tension force I don't get the same force on a cross-section in the bar. I just found out that the type of elements has affect on the results. With 3D-tet I get wrong results and with 3D-swept the results are good.
So, why do I not get the right force on the cross-section with 3D-tet elements? (the applied force is 1000N and the FBR gives me 665N on the surface)

Finally I would like to use these derived forces for calculating the height needed for a weld seam. So in fact I don't necessarily need the forces at each cross-section but preferably at places where plates are glued together. Therefore I need shear and pull forces and the moments on the weld seam.

See attached some pics of what I did.

Groeten, Michel

I use NX10
HP Z420 Intel Xeon 3.2GHz
Quadro K4000 3GB
64GB Memory
Windows 7, 64-bit

A leading Dutch institute in atomic and subatomic physics

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back