Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

Free Finite Element Analysis Software? 1

Status
Not open for further replies.

mloew

Automotive
Apr 3, 2002
US
Does anyone know of a free Finite Element Analysis software program for use on a PC? Ideally, I would like one that runs within MATLAB or can interact with Pro/DESKTOP or handle imported geometry via IGES or STEP. I am looking to solve some simple linear statics solutions initially.

I found the following website ( that seems to have good resources, any comments on what is in there?

Thanks!
Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
m.loew@ssss.com

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Zuardy,

Thank you for the reply. I have downloaded both MARC/Designer and LISA. I am running MS Windows XP. I can't get MARC/Designer to run, and it appears that LISA requires a registration code. Any other recommendations or solutions?

I am trying to solve initially a simple problem in 2D.

Of special interest are programs where I can use code (Matlab) to program some input files. A solver that would work within Matlab would be ideal. Best regards,

Matthew Ian Loew
m.loew@ssss.com

There is a program called JL Analyzer, do a search for it. Its not that great, but will do simple things and I believe the node limited version is free.

Also, for about $300 you can get a node limited version of ANSYS/ED. You dont have to be in school to get it though, (I think). It can do anything but composite elements.

Hi Matthew,
I encourage you to try the UNA version 7.2 FEM-program, since this was used by some of my FEA-friends. The input file is similar to NASTRAN, so it is great advantage if you are familiar with NASTRAN. It has a NASTRAN to UNA and vis á vis input translator, so you can verified your model always with well known NASTRAN solver. Or try the Z88, it offer the source code.
Regarding of using code (Matlab) to program some input files is not a serious problem, i think. I have done similar task for my optimization program, i.e adding some elements to the NASTRAN input file created by Pro/Eng.
I think, most FEM-solver can be executed by MATLAB via shell command (!...), since they all support batch mode. To my know, the last MSC/NASTRAN solver (2001) works with MATLAB, i.e you can access matrices defined in NASTRAN via MATLAB, but unfortunately I have not tested it :-(.
Have a lot of fun with MATLAB !

regards

PS : there are some commercial FEM-solver in MATLAB and
structural dynamic MATLAB toolbox has a functions to
write and read NASTRAN file

Why dont you go with FEAPpv , the FEA program from Taylor. I have tested 10000 node with no problemo, it has viewer too. FEAP now has some elements in to it including finite strain, mixed strain, and some ortho materials. Go for google and type feappv, a personal version of FEAP
Yes MAtlab now has FEA codes to do meshing, including error estimate just look into help files, dont tested yet, some books describe it like FEA w/ MATLAB. Why do you go with GID a mesher that greats for export import CAD and mesher, cheap too. try connect it to FEAPPv.. FEM S2 Student: ABQ,NAS,COS,ANS,MAR,SAP,
STaaD,ETABS,GTSTRUDL, Civil Eng.
LOOKING FOR A JOB ....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back