Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Free PCB software

Status
Not open for further replies.

ojniemin

Electrical
Nov 28, 2001
SE
Hi, does anyone know a good, easy to use, free software for creating 2-layer PCBs for hobby purposes?

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

If you're just looking for pcb layout, not schematics, then take a look at ExpressPCB, from Nice and simple, no bells or whistles, but it works. It also integrates nicely with ExpressPCB's services.

For more, look at the AutoTrax/EasyTrax from Protel. Free DOS based, and some people really like them.

Look at Eagle, from - they have a free version that may do for you. The only hassle is the paradigm (oooh, cool word) which is backwards from most Windows type programs. Rather than select objects, then do something to them (noun/verb) you pick a tool, then apply the tool to objects (verb/noun). Some hate it (myself) and some love it. Try it.

Dean.

Eagle is different but it's not so bad when you get used to it. It is the only package that I found that I could build a board with on the free demo version. The only restriction is the board size, 4" x 3.2".

In respect to EagleCAD, I use it all the time. Once you get used to it, it is pretty good. You can pull parts from a library, and you can download many other parts libraries as well. You can create a decent schematic, then make the PCB easily from the schematic. Once the PCB is drawn, simply print the image onto a piece of clear acetate or similar on a laser printer. Since laser printers are more expensive, many people don't have one. Simply print the PCB layout on normal paper, on an ink type printer, then take them to a print shop to transfer them to an acetate. This way, you can use the acetate as a mask to etch the PCB. When making a two sided board, I lay both acetates together, make sure it is aligned as you need it, then drill two small holes in opposite corners. Then, place the top acetate on a blank PCB, drill the two holes through the PCB, using the acetate as the template. When you stick two pins through the holes and the top acetate, you will automaticaly have the proper alignment to place the lower acetate. You can use through holes for components for the pins as well.
Sorry to speak beyond the actual PCB design software, but you indicated a hobby use. Many people like to gather hobby tricks, so I hope this helps you. I am assuming that you are planning to use photo etch boards? If not, then simply place a piece of carbon paper under the acetate, and do a stylus transfer, using the same pin technique. Either way, the main focus is to get both upper and lower sides of the board in as close alignment as possible. The pins will do this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back