Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Freon leak detection

Status
Not open for further replies.

sansub

Chemical
Aug 7, 2002
AE
HI all
We have a freon refregiration system in our Nitrogen plant. Of late we are facing problems in the cooling efficiency of the system even after overhauling of our compressors due to susupected freon leak in the system.I would like to know a way to detect mild Freon leaks from the system.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

Leak detector : an electron-tube with tungsten cathode.
The electron emission decreases in the presence of halogenes. <nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

Hi quark
Nice to hear from u. We have been trying with soap solution since a few days. But i would be happy to know any chemical that would be more sensitive to freon leak, like Hydrochloric acid for ammonia leak detection. Hope u get my point.

Support the advocates of buying a &quot;Freon &quot; detector. Advice based on 30+ years on a site which produced and stoed liquid HCN - hence the leaning to a sound detection system. Soap has its uses but is best reserved for tyres!! &quot;Penny wise - pound foolish&quot; as we say!

Besides Rocco8's freon leak detector the most sensitive
leak detector is mass spectrometer. Often the HF
MSM ( &quot;Omegatron&quot; but NOT FROM OMEGA !! ) is used with H2
or He .
<nbucska@pcperipherals.com>

The simplest way to detect freon leaks (Freon-22) is to use a small portable burner with a low/small flame. The flame colour changes to green when burning freon (if my memory serves me correctly). I have done this many a time on nitrogen liquefiers myself.

It has been a few years since I used any, but I assume it is still available. You could purchase Freons with dye tracers added. You could also purchase the concentrated dye and add it to the Freon. Then you just look for the red spots on the system. The down side is if the leak is into the process, your product turns red.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back