Eng-Tips is the largest engineering community on the Internet

Intelligent Work Forums for Engineering Professionals

• Congratulations waross on being selected by the Tek-Tips community for having the most helpful posts in the forums last week. Way to Go!

Frequency manipulator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lynoise

Computer
Aug 12, 2003
US
Hello-
I am pretty new to this.
I did not go to school for EE.
My knowledge is very limited. I am however willing to invest the time to learn anything I need to know. I just need to know where to start.

I have a frequency source (roughly 1khz - 36khz). I need to take this input and scale it before outputting it. Now the tricky part. The scale changes throughout the frequency range. The scaling does not necessarily need to be controlled externally (pots? / replaceable PIC?) but would be nice.

Ultimately I need this to take 2 signals as input. Scale them separately; add the results and then scale that result for output.

Any help/direction would be greatly appreciated.

Replies continue below

Recommended for you

I am a little unclear as to what you are trying to do. When you say you have a frequency source from 1 khz - 36 khz, I assume you mean that it is an frequency adjustable source (as opposed to a broadband source). If this is all you want to do, you could just use a resistor or potentiometer to scale the signal since it passes AC signals (i.e., very little inductive or capacitive effect at any frequency).

There is an article on that will count between
pulses. So you square off the freq., use as AVR 2313 to count the timing between pulses, and then generate you of freq. out on another pin.. Go to bastoc.com, click RVKBASIC, and there are articles or chapters. That might help. The chip is about $5.00.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back